http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Friday Shuffle - Retirement's Coming Edition

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Friday, January 09, 2009

Friday Shuffle - Retirement's Coming Edition

My birthday is coming up in a couple weeks and for my present B is going to give me a new iPod. Bixente the iPod, while being a faithful servant, is getting a bit of age on him. He's three years old and as he's an iPod nano it means that his capacity is limited. I've always had more music than he can hold but I'm starting to get a little tired of having to reload him so often. As much as I love Bixente, it's time for him to retire.

This has lead to B and I discussing ad nauseam which iPod I'll get. Initially a 16 gig nano seemed a good choice but then I took a look at the new 120 gig classic and I became torn. For just a bit more money I'd get a shitload more capacity but do I want something bigger and heavier to carry? And the cute factor - a red nano's cute factor cannot be underestimated. I have a pink cell phone that I bought because it's so damn cute.

It's finally come down to resorting to a pro and con list. Cuteness, capacity, price, ease of use, features, likelihood of using features, what I'll be using the iPod for, and so on have been written down and I've poured over the list. I haven't stared at a paper this closely since I studied for an 8:00 geology exam and I started at 7:15.

I think I've made my decision but I'll let you know my final decision when the new ones arrives. I have until Sunday to change my mind so if any of y'all want to give me something to consider (no, Katya - I'm not getting an iTouch to guinea pig for you!), pipe up and let me know what it is. After that B will be ordering the iPod of my choice and it'll be too late.

And then comes the sad part. When my new iPod arrives, Bixente the iPod will be put out to pasture. I get pretty attached to things like my iPod - at least enough to name things after short French soccer players - so getting a new one is a bit emotional for me. And I'll have to think of a new name with which to christen the new iPod but I have to admit now that it's going to be hard to top a name as good as Bixente.

Your time's running out, Bixente. Better get to shuffling.
  1. Louisiana Saturday Night - The Benjy Davis Project
  2. While You Wait - Mark McAdam
  3. You Don't Love Me - The Kooks
  4. Lola - Travis
  5. The Great Escape - The Rifles
  6. Pedestal - Bombay Bicycle Club
  7. Keeping Mistakes - Look See Proof
  8. Two Silver Trees - Calexico
  9. All That Heaven Will Allow - The Mavericks
  10. I'll Follow The Sun - The Beatles

Labels:

6Comments:

Blogger Hilda said...

You don't have to put Bixente to pasture. Why not downlod podcasts of cool stuff, or i-books and use Bixente for that?

4:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought I was going to use Manny the iPod for audiobooks once I got my new one a few years back, but I think he knew what happened and from then on refused to hold a battery charge. Little snot. :P

I am a fan of the classic model myself because of the capacity. I've never had a nano, so I don't have much to compare to in terms of weight, but I haven't found the weight/portability to ever be an issue for me.

(I did just pick up a shuffle to use during my workouts, but that's only because Ferris the iPod doesn't come with a handy clip like the shuffle does. It is blue and I love it. I named it Bowie.)

I am sure that whichever you choose will be fantastic. :)

5:42 AM  
Blogger Jaxie Fantastic said...

I have the 120 GB Classic and I love it because I can put pictures on it and videos AND all my music.

I also use it as a portable hard drive and back up files on it. I have my music on it once to listen to and then I have a separate folder that is like my "back up" files. So when I got my new computer all I had to do was plug in my iPod and drag the folder over. HUGE time saver.

3:43 PM  
Blogger zoe xx said...

mourinho sounds like a good name!

4:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dont get rid of Ipod B- just keep Ipod B charged and keep the music you want to have portable in it. Then get the big Honkin' 120G one to have around the apartment. I'm a "have the best of both worlds" sort of gal, but you know that. And of course I say go for the expensive one.

D Mollie

10:40 PM  
Blogger The DP said...

It's Sunday so you have probably already made up your mind but here is my experience. I use mine mainly for podcasts and news.
For the past three years I have tooled around with an old 4 gig nano and a old clunker 30 gig black slim one. I wound up mainly using the 30 gig out of laziness and only charged up the baby for runs and business trips to bern/fribourg. My 30 gig died on the way to the states a few weeks ago. My mom, who had no way of killing my ipod, had mommy intuition and had a 16 gig waiting for me at home. I have loaded it up and I can promise you that the 16 gig is more than sufficient to preclude massive reloading and shufflling on and off material. I love my new baby. The biggest difference is the weight. All you really need, even for a plane trip, can fit on a 16gig (I put a couple tv shows on mine for the way back). I would have liked the classic too, and for the same reasons you mentioned (especially that only 50 bucks more gives you ridiculous gig space), but it all goes back to weight for me. I am so glad not to carry the clunker around any more although it served me well.
I think you will be happy with either choice- never having to load a classic, or having a sleek pretty nano that will still need less babysitting than Bixente. You can't go wrong!

9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home