http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Weep. Weep for Me.

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Weep. Weep for Me.

I think I got a little cocky. It's December 21st and since it's a mere few days before Christmas I think I got a little cocky. Let down my guard. Started feeling invincible and it caught up with me.

Late this afternoon I was changing B's shirt. We were listening to the music channels on our digital TV service, specifically to the Christmas music channel - all Christmas music for all of December. All I wanted to do was change B's shirt, a process I can do in sixty or seventy seconds, and then I was going to change the TV to watch the evening news. There I was, up to my elbows in husband, completely vulnerable and helpless to defend myself when it happened.

I heard the opening notes of Last Christmas.

What could I do? Throw down my husband? Leave him half strangled in a tee-shirt while I dove for the remote control? It wouldn't have done any good anyway. As spry as I may be, I had no chance to ward off the whiney, breathy voice of George Michael pissing and moaning about his old love who dumped him and who wouldn't, George?

I was so close. So, so close. Up until then I had been freely walking through the Christmas market, untouched by Wham! In and out of the mall and department store and grocery stores, completely Wham! free. I was nearly to the Christmas season finish line when I was assaulted. Assaulted in my own home. Wham! waited until I was helping a handicapped man - caring for my quadriplegic husband - to sneak in and catch me.

Shame on you, Wham! Shame on you.

Labels: ,

3Comments:

Blogger JEANNETTE said...

That song is THE reason I don't listen to Christmas music. And the worst? That commercial that comes on EVERY YEAR for some been-done-a-thousand-times-before Christmas CD with the VIDEO to the song. The only thing worse than hearing George is seeing George... particularly in his poofy-hair '80s days. :-)

3:12 PM  
Blogger UmmFarouq said...

Wham! is and always will be shameful--a bastardization of good pop music.

9:21 AM  
Blogger Hilda said...

Oh Noooooooooo...the humanity!!!

11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home