http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: A whole and two halves

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Monday, February 27, 2006

A whole and two halves

Since I've spent the last couple weeks numbing your brains with knitting talk you deserve to see some product.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Here's the complete shite completed baby blanket that I made as my Knitting Olympics project. To me it just doesn't hit me as a comforting baby blanket but I have to say it makes a great little throw for when I'm snoozing on the sofa so I'm keeping it instead of giving it to my buddy, Zea.

But since Zea's little girl deserves a sweet little baby blanket that actually looks like a sweet little baby blanket, I started a new one for her. Here it is at the offical halfway point.

Image hosting by Photobucket

And it's turning out to be much better than the Knitting Olympics baby blanket. Better yarn and it's more baby blanket-ish. It's taking me longer to knit up but it's worth it because it's more fun for me to knit that the other one. I'm having a great time with it.

When working on a knitting project that takes me more than four or five days to complete I generally start another project to keep me a little distracted. Something simple that's brainless to knit and easy to complete quickly and that way I don't get bored with the big project and start making silly errors.

Here's the ribbon yarn scarf about 1/3 complete:

Image hosting by Photobucket

It's very easy to knit up - just garter stich and some yarn overs thrown in and then the yarn overs get slipped off the needle. I started it late last night and I knitted up the first skein by late this afternoon. I'm not 100% crazy about the yarn itself since it changes textures throughout and there's one section that's much thinner than the rest but still it's interesting and I like the overall effect well enough.

Here's a closer look at the texture. You can see at the very bottom of the scarf the little bit where the yarn is thinner than the rest of the skein.

Image hosting by Photobucket

And here's a shot of some of the variety of colors in the skein:

Image hosting by Photobucket

I think I'd like to try it again with ribbon yarn that stays the same texture throughout the skein.

I may be in the midst of too-much-winter funk but I'm getting lots of projects well underway.

No yarn related stuff tomorrow. It'll be safe for you Jeez, is she talking about knitting again?? non-knitting folks to return.

6Comments:

Blogger Tiffany said...

Just beautiful!

When do you get your gold medal? ;)

9:37 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Oh yeah...forgot about the gold medal!

Dang Tiffany...I meant to take a picture of the baby blanket I'm doing for you! It's nearly finished.

9:50 PM  
Blogger Kirsti said...

Yay for winning gold! It looks really nice, and I'm sure that stitch pattern required concentration.

Is the new blanket the Big Bad Baby Blanket pattern from Stitch'n'Bitch? It does look like it's going to be gorgeous when done.

Thanks for the knitting photos! Some of us live for that stuff...

10:38 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Yep! The pink one is Big Bad Baby Blanket. If you like a little bit of seed stitch and a lot of stockingette, it's a great one to crank out. And being mostly stockingette it stay sturdy.

10:56 PM  
Blogger Mimey said...

I wouldn't want to give a baby that blue one, looks a littl (how shall I put it) hardwearing, sturdy for delicate skin. But the pink one, woo and hoo, oh yeah. If I had a baby I'd place an order right now.

I have a spare Gold Medal, if you want a loan.

7:47 PM  
Blogger ninjapoodles said...

That is some awesome stuff. The recipients will be THRILLED! (And if they're not, you send it all to me. That'll show 'em.)

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home