http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Friday Shuffle - Easy Listening Edition

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Friday, February 17, 2006

Friday Shuffle - Easy Listening Edition

Bixente the iPod is spitting out tunes made popular in 1960s suburban livingroom cocktail parties all across America.
  1. Delilah - Tom Jones
  2. The Lonely Bull - Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass
  3. Is That All There Is? - Peggy Lee
  4. The Look of Love - Sergio Mendes & Brasil 66
  5. Moon River - Andy Williams
  6. Honey - Bobby Goldsboro
  7. Little Green Apples - O.C. Smith
  8. Take a Letter Maria - R.B. Greaves
  9. It's Not Unusual - Tom Jones
  10. By the Time I Get to Phoenix - Glen Campbell
Push back the kidney shaped coffee table and dance!

Other tidbit-like things...

~ I've finished five rounds of pattern rows for my Knitting Olympics project and I'll likely only do two more. I've got be sure to have enough yarn to finish the border and I'm cutting things very close.

~ My sister has bought her plane tickets for her and her family to visit me this summer. They arrive on May 27 and go back home two weeks later. Our annual city festival is the weekend inbetween and this year we're living right in the middle of it.

I adore my sister. I've admired her my whole life. She's seven years older than me so when we were growing up it was hard for us to be close. I was the pesky, meddling little sister that wouldn't leave her alone. We've had some hard differences between us but since reaching adulthood we've grown closer and closer.

Last year on my birthday she sent me a card and in it she wrote "I remember so clearly Daddy coming home to tell me and the boys that we had a little sister. I've loved you your whole life.". It meant the world to me for me to read that.

~ Just curious - you folks living in Europe...on which hand to you wear your wedding ring?

Y'all have a great weekend.

11Comments:

Blogger Rich said...

Hey Dixie!! In answer to your question. We were married in california, so I wear my ring on my left hand. My wife wears her engagement ring on the left and the wedding ring on the right. I also have a friend from Canada, and he wears his on the left hand. Where is yours? Hey now Dixie!! I got a deal for you! (Because you never responded to my Werder/ Beyern bet). If your sister is coming on over how bout this..... If you can talk her into bringing some hominy over when she comes... Ill bring you the biggest bucket of KFC chicken you have ever seen. Think about it and let me know. Can ya tell Im really desperate to make my mexican soup. Peace to ya Dixie!

11:37 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Hominy, huh? Okay, I'll see what I can do.

I wear mine on my right hand. It's most common to do among those I know here so I started doing it so I'd look married.

But when I go to the US I switch my ring to my left hand so I look married there.

I was cleaning my rings today and that's why I thought of it. I put my wedding rings on my left hand and they felt funny there.

11:48 PM  
Blogger Kirsti said...

Yay for knitting progress. And, as a European, wedding (and engagement) rings are worn on the left hand.

3:57 AM  
Blogger The DP said...

i was of the understanding that wedding rings on the right hand was a very German thing to do. that said, a lot of old money rich french and swiss people i know where it on the right. ergo i thought if someone had it on the right they were either money or german.

I wear my band on the left and my engagement ring on the right, tho. i was married in france.

10:05 AM  
Blogger The DP said...

that should be wear it on the right. i need to speak english more often.

10:06 AM  
Blogger Dixie said...

I've seen people on TV from Belgium and Denmark wear their wedding rings on their right hands and I've noticed English people wearing theirs on the left - likely that's why Americans wear theirs on the left too.

The explaination I was given is that separate engagement rings weren't the norm in Germany. When a couple gets engaged they wear their bands on their left hand and after the wedding they wear them on the right hand. I've noticed though that some people that I know to be married wear theirs on the left.

I suppose it just more important to wear it.

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my husband and i wear our rings on our left hands. sadly, my ring is too big for me and can't be resized, so i have to wear it on my bird finger.

it wasn't until recently that british men wore wedding bands as commonly as women. some of my friends were surprised that husband wears his.

5:27 PM  
Blogger Big Pissy said...

I love all those songs. I'm a big Tom Jones fan~and a big dork, I guess. =)

and let me just go on record as saying that NO ONE really appreciates Sergio Mendes and Herb Alpert music the way they should!

btw, Sergio has a new CD out.

Which surprised me b/c I thought he was dead.

7:18 PM  
Blogger Mimey said...

and I said to myself, is that all there is to a knitting olympics?


It's always third finger left hand here for a direct line to the heart. There is/was/has been a Jewish custom for wearing the wedding ring on the index finger so everytime the wife points her marriedness is seen. Never met anyone who followed it tho.

10:52 PM  
Blogger christina said...

How great that your sister will be visiting!

We were married in Canada and I wear both my engagement ring and wedding ring on my left hand, but my husband wears his wedding band on the right. Go figure. Yes, in Germany it is customary to wear the ring on the left when you're engaged and then switch to the right when you're married, but I think people just do whatever they want these days. The English custom of wearing the ring on the left is symbolic of the heart being on the left. I don't know if there's a different symbolism attached to wearing it on the right. People are also sometimes quite suprised that I have two rings instead of just a plain wedding band.

10:55 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

I get the same sort of thing, Christina. I have an engagement ring and a wedding band as well. I had a diamond solitaire when I was married the first time and wanted something a little different this time so we got a diamond band and I wear it on top of my plain wedding ring. I get folks who wonder why I have two wedding rings.

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home