http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Gotta Get It Done - And I Did!

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Gotta Get It Done - And I Did!

My fingers feel all cramped and my left arm aches. When I started knitting this afternoon I had about 2/3 of one sock finished and 1/2 of the other foot left to knit before I could start on the toes. I watched two episodes of Weeds, two episodes of Desperate Housewives and a whole soccer match before I had to stop to make dinner and make sure my husband wasn't completely neglected. There were a few times when I thought "This isn't even important. Just stop knitting. Who cares if these stupid socks get finished today?" but I kept going anyway because I wanted to see if I really could do it. Around 9:15pm I started on the toes and when I had clipped off the last bit of yarn from weaving in the loose ends it was 11:50pm. I skidded in under the wire.

I would like to now present the socks I thought I would never finish.

Photobucket


Yarny bits:
Pattern: Froot Loop
Yarn: Gedifra Socks Color
Colorway: 7007

All afternoon and evening while knitting my mind wandered and I thought of Hurricane Gustav that's bearing down on the gulf coast. My deadline to finish these socks was self imposed. While I really wanted to get them done on time in order to meet the goal I'd set for myself to knit at least one pair of socks every month, nothing bad would happen if I didn't. The world would still turn, the sun would still rise and I would suffer no ill consequences from not meeting my goal. I wish those who are living on the gulf coast, especially those I know and love, could say that about the pressure they're currently under. Folks like Marsha, who lives on the gulf coast of Mississippi have evacuated. Katya's in Mobile and while she's outside the cone of the storm, she still has to keep alert in case things change. Michele's staying put in Baton Rouge and she's collected her folks to come stay there but it's still going to be hard on them.

Preparing for a storm is hard work. If you have to evacuate you've got to get your stuff together and get out before it gets too late. If you're staying you've got to make sure you've got what you need to ride it out. First responders and organizations like the Red Cross have to make their preparations. They're all under an tremendous deadline and unlike me missing my sock knitting deadline, missing their deadlines can have life-or-death consequences.

I'm praying for them all. I can't imagine their worry and I can't imagine how they can keep going while under so much stress. May their efforts be blessed and may they all remain safe.

Labels: ,

5Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just out of curiosity, what size feet were those socks made for? In the picture, they look large enough to fit my size 10 feet. :) Either way, finishing them this week is a grand accomplishment, but even more so if they are for a fellow big footed gal. :)

Been thinking a lot about Gustav myself. Hope all the Gulf Coast folks are safe and sound and remain that way.

6:38 AM  
Blogger Dixie said...

For the first time I knit socks with no specific person in mind as the recipient. When time was getting short I decided they'd go to someone who I know has short feet so I'd have less to knit. I wear a size 7 and they fit me fine - they may be a smidge longer than a 7 actually. More like a 7 1/2. I'm glad I never told anyone these socks were for them because I'd hate to go back to them later and say "I love you but I'm pressed for time and your feet are too long for me to meet my deadline. No socks for you!".

3:12 PM  
Blogger Marshamlow said...

Thanks for all you love and support. All those prayers really worked. Most folks seem to have come out of the storm unscathed. Except the space bar of my laptop, it no longer seems to love me.

What an experience. When faced with the posibility of losing all that I own, the thing that caused me to cry was the thought that if we got hit here in Ocean Springs - I worried that they wouldn't rebuild. I worried I would lose the schools, the teachers and the school board. I worried I would have to move away and not be able to live here in this great place anymore.

3:11 AM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Marsha! Great to hear from you! I'm so glad you and your home and your town are all right. It's a terrible thing to think your town may be gone within only a few hours.

3:44 PM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Your Froot Loops look great! Here from Ravelry, btw.

Shelley
(http://kittenyarnsandcrafts.blogspot.com)

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home