http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Gotta Get It Done - Day Four

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Gotta Get It Done - Day Four

Know how when people are on a weigh loss regimen and after a while they can't seem to lose any more weight even though they're still on the regimen? They plateau for a while before their weight loss resumes.

Here's how they looked yesterday. Roll your cursor over the photo to see how much I've progressed in the last day.



"But Dixie! It hardly looks any different!" I know, I know. I'm getting tired of forsaking everything else for knitting every moment I can grab out of my day. But the gusset decreases are finished on the left sock and are about half finished on the right sock. This is the point of the sock where we narrow down from the widest point of the sock - the heel - and transition to the sole and instep. Time consuming and you don't feel like you're making much progress. Plateauing. The only answer is to slog thought it.

Yesterday when I was lollygagging around taking a well deserved and much needed break I looked around at the message boards to which I belong on Ravelry and found this quote from Fandom Wank:

Sock knitters are the elite of the knitting world. Socks are the most difficult items to knit, and it takes a true knitter with skill, intelligence, and pure raw talent to appreciate the wonder of knitting socks. It's true: just ask any sock knitter.

I laughed because I know of sock knitters who truly do take this to heart. As for myself I knit socks almost exclusively because I'm too impatient to get a certain gauge and I'm too damn dumb to piece and sew together various parts of a sweater and have it actually look like a sweater.

Enough lollygagging. Back to the needles with my pure raw talent.

Labels:

3Comments:

Blogger sari said...

I love the word "lollygagging".

It's just so good.

4:59 AM  
Blogger jane said...

i have been a knitter forever and have made ONE pair of socks in that time. i'm impressed.

now for the dumb question of the day: do you knit a bit of one and then switch to the other. when i made my sole pair (Sole pair, funny, huh?), i completed one sock before starting the other. is that wrong? i am curious about this.

if you are interested, my name on ravelry is potterstreet. always looking for friends. i need to update my page - have hardly anything on it - and tons of finished stuff and stuff in progress.

love the blog. wish i'd met you when i was in germany - you're fun and smart - and nice. and have killer taste in music. love the diversity in your shuffle -

jane

4:00 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Sari - I'm just pleased I had a chance to use it! It's a word that doesn't get used enough.

Jane - You're so sweet to pay me such kind compliments. I've definitely got you on my Ravelry friends list now.

And it's not a dumb question at all about the socks. It's a tip I learned from someone on Ravelry, actually. I stand a better chance of finishing a pair of socks if I knit both at the same time so I knit a bit on one then knit the same amount on the second. It gets the dreaded, boring cuff out of the way immediately! Plus it also helps me keep the gauge on both socks more accurate. I find sock knitting more fun doing it this way.

11:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home