http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Ahhhhh....

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Ahhhhh....

That's my sigh of relief. Folks, we have found a new apartment.

Good things about it: It's right downtown on the main street. We'll be about 200 meters from the dead center of the city. Various useful shops in the bottom of the building. I can get yummy things from the Christmas market and get them home to eat them before they even cool off. The building is very quiet and clean. The apartment has brand new flooring but I will put carpet in the three main rooms and leave the vinyl flooring in the hallway and kitchen. The rent is well within our budget. The streetcar stops right in front of the building. Being downtown gives us many more activities to choose from than what's available to us right now. And I believe the greatest thing about this apartment is that there will be no one above us screaming like a banshee as he takes a crap.

Not so good things: The bathroom is teeny. What bathroom furniture I have won't fit so I may just use what I can or I'll buy new. The kitchen is also much smaller than what I have now. I may be able to use 75% of the cabinets that I have now and maybe have to get new countertops to fit the new cabinet arrangement. That's really all I can think of that's truly not good but none of it is so bad that I would even remotely consider staying where we're at. The kitchen will again be very nice but just not as nice as it is now.

Here. Take a peek.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

We have to wait for some paperwork to be done by the city and once that's approved then we'll sign the rental contract. In the meantime the apartment is reserved for us.

Y'all pray that I can get this apartment packed up and us moved. I'm not so good at this moving stuff.

9Comments:

Blogger sari said...

Congratulations!! I am so happy for you guys! Did your mother-in-law find an apartment there as well?

It sounds wonderful, all around. :-)

11:05 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

My MIL isn't going to live in the same building as our new apartment because the the two room apartments are too big for her. We looked at one today and as she put it she'd "walk herself to death" in it. There's an apartment building on the same street as our new one (actually it's technically behind since the entrance to our building is in the rear due to the shops being in the front) that's the exact same style at the building we live in now - thank the lack of imagination in East Germany for that - and there's one 2 room that's empty but it's on hold until October 5. If the folks don't take it, she will immediately. If that doesn't pan out, there's other buildings in the immediate vicinity that she should be able to find a place in within the next six months. She doesn't have to live under our feet but she does need to be within a couple blocks of us.

Lottie gets Zimmer 2. She likes smaller rooms and she likes the view.

12:01 AM  
Blogger Kirsti said...

Oh Dixie, that's wonderful news. No more Lauds. And bells and christmas markets instead.

Good luck starting all the packing...

12:55 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

That's great -- I'm so glad to hear you'll be moving. I don't do the packing stuff so great either -- I really wish you luck with that.

That yarn in the entry underneath is just beautiful! I love it.

1:33 AM  
Blogger Miz said...

Excellent news! Is the living room zimmer 3?

5:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's wonderful news, Kim! I'm thrilled for you and B.! I wish I could fly over and help you pack and move.

I can't wait to hear your Christmas market stories too!

3:21 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

congrats! i'm off to look for a new apartment this weekend. i found your blog via dancing in place. enjoy the new homestead!

8:09 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Zimmer 1 or Zimmer 3 could be the livingrooms. There are no closets so you can pick whichever room you want to do what you want and these two rooms happen to be the same size.

I think we'll end up having Zimmer 1 being the livingroom since B is in there all the time. I believe it'll be the easiest room for him to get into and I think it has a better view.

We have an appointment for B to see the apartment himself before we sign a contract. If he can't get into it and manuver his wheelchair into the livingroom, there's no point in signing a contract.

9:13 PM  
Blogger BarefootCajun said...

How wonderful! I'm so glad y'all have found something so soon. Wish I were there to help you pack and move.

3:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home