http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Slipping Away of the Day

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Slipping Away of the Day

This afternoon around 3pm I took Bonnie for her mid-afternoon walk. It was cold today - near freezing - but the sun was glorious, low in the horizon but bright and warming. We walked down towards the river in an attempt to walk her around some green spots and just south of where I was walking the Christmas market was in full swing. The clear weather must have tempted shoppers because the streets were filled with people dumping their cars wherever possible and heading towards the festivities.

Bonnie is under the impression that all people find her adorable. She's also under the impression that any shopping bags are filled with goodies for her. I try to keep her at a distance from people but with the numbers on the street this proved to be difficult. I'd tug at her leash and she'd careen along making a beeline towards anyone near her who even sort of looked like they might wish to stop and pet her. She's a petting whore. Pet her once and she's your loyal friend for life.

Finally after a good 40 minutes of this and after Bonnie'd sufficiently stretched her legs I headed back towards my street. The sun was slowly dipping behind the apartment buildings in the distance and I took advantage of the remaining minutes of daylight by sitting on a bench. I kept Bonnie held close to me to keep her from bopping over to old ladies and toddlers in an effort to get her head patted and I watched the scene around us.

As the sun sank lower lighted window decorations in surrounding apartments became visible and the thousands of twinkling bulbs illuminating the Christmas market gave their own warmth. Four o'clock came and the bells in the cupola of the Rathaus chimed the hour and then played Kling, Glöckchen, kling. Shoppers with stuffed bags struggled under their weight and fussy toddlers in dire need of a nap bucked in their strollers and then would happily shriek Wau Wau! when seeing Bonnie. Gangs of teenagers furiously pecking out SMS messages while laughing with their companions lurched by and old couple making their way home held hands. I mindlessly scratched Bonnie behind her ears in that way she loves and drank in the scene - the people and the lights and the tinny Christmas carols played over loudspakers and the fading chime of the bells.

This part of the city is very close to the Elbe and as the sun was on the verge of vanishing and the temperatures dipped, fog from the river rolled in thickly. It came along suddenly and shrouded the area in a sort of damp veil. Lights became blurry and sounds more muted and as I sat the cold and damp began to creep though my thin jeans and under the collar of my jacket.

So Bonnie and I headed up the street to our apartment. I opened the door and Bonnie dashed in, anxious for a drink of water. My glasses fogged up from the sudden burst of warmth and I slipped them off while I took off my jacket and removed my shoes. The blanket of fog was now even thicker and despite its chill I felt warmer with it surrounding me.

5Comments:

Blogger Mahala said...

Beautifully written, I felt like I was there.

5:06 PM  
Blogger amulbunny's random thoughts said...

You have a way with words. It was wonderful to read about it. Give Bonnie an extra scratch behind the ears for me.

ann

6:16 PM  
Blogger Mikki Marshall said...

Dixie, that was beautiful. This is definitely your season, I can almost see the Christmas Market.
I'll be writing to you and B soon with my new war stories. Sooo good to be home.

12:02 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Kling, Glöckchen, kling was the first Christmas song I learned when I lived in Germany -- now you have me singing it!

12:49 AM  
Blogger Marshamlow said...

It sounds like you are enjoying your new location. Beautiful imagery I felt as if I were there, and wish I was there.

11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home