http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: So wrong in so many ways

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Thursday, April 06, 2006

So wrong in so many ways

I had myself braced for the lecture I was sure to get from my doctor this afternoon. I was certain that she'd start off with "Well your numbers have slipped. Is there a problem?" and after my tear filled confession that I have not always watched what I eat and I sometimes even forget to take my medication (I take it twice a day and sometime I forget a pill) and my exercise plan has a few holes in it we'd switch to her sternly reminding me that I need to watch these things and that if I don't I'll be damned to hell and another visit from the boring ass dietician.

Instead she breezed in, took my blood pressure (120/80. It's always 120/80.) and then said "Well like I told you on the phone your white cell count came down so I doubt it's something terrible but to be sure it's really better, come in the week after Easter and let me take your blood again and then when I come back in four weeks (she sees B every four weeks so she sees me at the same time) I'll do another big blood draw.". Hmmm. Okay. Stand down on the white cell count panic. Now here comes the hammer.

"And as for the rest of your numbers, they're very good! Everything is very good! Keep up with what you're doing!"

Wait. This can't be right. What I'm too often doing is this. And this. And even a bit of this. Much too little of this. And this. And entirely too little of this. Left to my devices I'll soon be partaking of this.

In reality, I'm not all that bad but I could stand to be a whole lot better. I get away with my bad side because of my medication and because of the exercise I do get but if I would be better with both food and exercise then I could take less medication or stop it completely. I do eat sensibly most of the time - fresh fruits and vegetables, watch my sugar and fat intake, and I do eat a lot of fiber and drink a lot of water. It's the cheating I should avoid and don't try hard enough to avoid. I'll skip a day of exercise here and there. Eat that cookie when I should be having an apple. And of course there's the nacho monkey on my back.

I have to keep shunning the Whoppers though. Thank goodness the nearest BK is nowhere near me and I've cut my fast food fixes to about three times a year. Otherwise it would be like living in Requiem for a Dream, minus the infected track marks and prostitution.

8Comments:

Blogger Tiffany said...

Girl! Whoppers are my favorite!

Wanna know a secret? I got a double whopper on Monday!

It was pure bliss!

10:40 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Ohdearlord! I got a Whopper with bacon and cheese on Tuesday when I left the gyn office (it's right by the BK). My twice-a-year visits are two of the times per year when I eat fast food.

I had to eat in the car. It would be too embarrassing to eat in the restaurant itself because I can't avoid making that "Mmmmmmm!!" humming noise when I'm eating a Whopper. Dang, that Whopper was fabulous!

10:57 PM  
Blogger jen said...

All i have to say is BK whoppers are not worth the "Ass to Ass" thing.

11:10 PM  
Blogger Marshamlow said...

Your killing me! My weakness is the chocolate, lucky for me I am not in Europe and that most excellent Milka chocolate is not just around the corner. My favorite was the one with yogurt. Mmm.

So relieved that you are great! Keep up the good work.

11:56 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Heh Jen! Every time I mention that movie to B he never remembers which one it is until I say "Oh you know! Arsch an Arsch!".

That was the biggest WTF moment in that film.

12:08 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I read your previous post first. We always prepare for the worst and then it turns out to not be so bad. My weakness - chocolate ice cream. I love ice cream . . . and chocolate chip cookies . . . Man, I should have gone to the gym today.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

So glad it wasn't as bad as you anticipated, Dixie! Donica just found out she has diabetes and is really trying to be religious about all the diet stuff, but even the "modern" books we're reading on the dis-ease say you can have those things you crave from time to time--just in moderation and in lesser quantities than normal.

5:05 PM  
Blogger Mimey said...

I'm glad it wasn't more horrible, but keep away from that bad food (I enjoyed the pictures), you don't want me to use my stern voice again, really you don't.

Have a good weekend
jemima x

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home