http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Friday Shuffle - Sweet Victory Edition

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Friday, June 30, 2006

Friday Shuffle - Sweet Victory Edition

Our schedule in my home today revolved around the 5pm match between Germany and Argentina. All chores and errands were finished so that come match time we'd be set to watch.

And things were going really well. It wasn't as insane at the grocery store as I thought it might be and I was in, out and back home before an hour had passed. Two new books arrived today from Amazon.de - this and this. And if that's not enough reading material to keep me occupied for the next week or so, at the same time a box of books from my darling friend, Mollie, arrived. Mollie and I are addicted to thoroughly enjoy those fluffy mystery/detective novels that are usually part of a series so when Mollie's home is threatened to be overrun by them, she boxes them up and sends them my way.

It's seldom that I will only watch TV when I'm watching TV, regardless of what I'm watching. Most of the time I'll knit but when I think my concentration will be so compromised that I'll screw up what I'm knitting, I will instead flip through a magazine or a book. I chose to read the knitting book that came today and as I skimmed through the importance of swatching, Argentina scored a goal. I could feel my heart jolt a little but kept hope that Germany would even the score.

By the time the game was nearly over I'd tossed aside the book in favor of fervent prayer. I had such dread that Germany's ride to the final in Berlin was about to be over and I felt queasy over it.

Klose's goal made me start to breathe again.

During the overtime periods there was dead silence in my home punctuated by the occasional "Aaaagghh!" or "Ohhhh!". My heart pounded, my palms sweat and I know for certain that even on my wedding day I was no where near this keyed up and nervous. Either wedding day.

Shoot outs are even worse to watch and I have been known to cover my face and peek out through my fingers. To make matters worse, I really dislike Germany's goalkeeper, Jens Lehmann. I'm an Oliver Kahn fan and when Lehmann was given the top spot over Kahn I was bitter. Still and all, when I saw Oliver Kahn talking to Jens Lehmann before the shoot out started, my heart melted a little. I don't know what was said between them but I'm sure it was something that only a fellow goalkeeper could know and understand. That's sportsmanship. That's what makes a group of players into a real team.

In case you haven't heard elsewhere, Germany won. Jens Lehmann held off two of the kicks from Argentina and Germany now advances to the semi-finals. And let me say it here for all the world to know. I will never, ever say anything bad about Jens Lehmann again. Whatever crow anyone wishes to serve me up for being bitter over Jürgen Klinsmann choosing Jens Lehmann to be the number one goal keeper, I'll gladly eat.

But Klinsmann still can't be my boyfriend again.

The release of the tension and pressure was such a relief that I literally broke into tears - the emotion of it all was that strong. And the eruption of cheering, car horns, singing and general jubilation from those watching the game in the open air venue just a few blocks away from my apartment is still going on. Right now I believe the general feeling in the country is that we can take on anyone and win. It's great to have such positive, optimistic feelings all around.

We need music to celebrate. Bring on the shuffle.
  1. Tomorrow Comes A Day Too Soon - Flogging Molly
  2. Goody Two Shoes - Adam Ant
  3. Garden of Earthly Delights - XTC
  4. She's A Rainbow - Rolling Stones
  5. Gimme Three Steps - Lynyrd Skynyrd
  6. Turn The Page - Bob Seger
  7. '54, '74, '90, 2006 - Sportfreunde Stiller
  8. My Tennessee Mountain Home - Dolly Parton
  9. Do You Believe In Magic - Loving Spoonful
  10. This Old Heart Of Mine - Isley Brothers
Number seven is perfect. Now let it come true.

8Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am utterly dreading tomorrow...The bookies have England 3 - Portugal 1 at 20:1 odds. I call that rather generous.

Sigh.

Enjoy the winnings!

12:34 AM  
Blogger Miz said...

Got my "12 Sharp" last week, I just love the series. Who do you vote for, Joe or Ranger?

5:55 AM  
Blogger christina said...

Whoooo! Wasn't that a nerve-wracking game? All that elbow jabbing and kicking each other. I've really come to like Jens Lehmann as well (Oli Kahn was never my cup of tea looks or personality wise, but one has to admit that he IS a great goalkeeper). I didn't know much about Lehmann before he was chosen to be #1 and thought he was a bit of an ass, but he certainly proved himself.

9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ollie Kahn can't be my boyfriend anymore because he's a cheater.

That was a great game, though. I've been doing my best not to watch them but it grabbed me.

Best part was late yesterday evening - the whole town was deserted like on a Sunday, then Germany won and it erupted, cars started whizzing past, honking and people screaming.

Eventually it died down when the second game started at 21:00. After that was over there was one lone fan leaning out of a Fiat, tooting and yelling "ITALIA! ITALIA!" Seems we have an italian population of 1. Cute. :)

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL After Klose's header I flung my knitting across the room and danced. I've decided that from now on I can never knit and watch the WM.

I seriously prayed to someone up there last night. I said I would give up chocolate, buying yarn for a year....even chatting on the internet if we could just please please win.

So be ready for me to blog about various withdrawal symptoms over the next few weeks LOL

and yeah, Jens is totally my new boyfriend.

12:39 PM  
Blogger zoe xx said...

My turn for the anxiety today - I have a feeling that despite England not exactly playing very well, we should get through today - I even think we might meet you in the Final! Imagine the Dix/Zoe relationship on THAT day!!

I know what you mean about the feelgood factor and the camaraderie of the country - it's nice!!

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get through?? Ha ha. So much for that. England ALWAYS goes out in the quarterfinals on penalties and USUALLY to portugal. I have sat through that game once already, it was Euro 2004.

Right. I'll go be bitter elsewhere now.
So gutted.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Haddock said...

The German game was good and I hope they win the cup. England screwed up with the penalties again....but thats becoming normal for us nowadays! :)

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home