http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: New found freedom

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

New found freedom

One of the first blogs I read on a regular basis was AngryBlackBitch. I love her style. I don't agree with every single viewpoint she holds, 'cause frankly that would be a little weird and ass kissy anyway, but I love the way she expresses herself. I love her honesty and how she is an advocate (and not just an advocate but active participant) for getting involved personally in changing things in your world that need changing. Don't just complain when you can get involved and affect real change in the lives of those in your community and in the world.

In today's entry she talks about how it's perfectly alright for others in the world to dislike or even not have any knowledge whatsoever of things we may personally like and in passing she mentioned that while she may think you're nuts, she won't hold it against you if you happen to not have any love for Miles Davis.

That brief mention of Miles Davis has given me the courage to admit something that I often try to hide in an effort to cover up some of my tragic un-hipness. I shall confess it now.

I really don't like jazz music.

To be perfectly clear, I don't dislike all jazz music. I love swing and big band music. I like some jazz vocalists. It's instrumental jazz that I don't like and if you want an example of what I really can't bear to hear, it's Miles Davis. I know he was considered a genius. I know he revolutionized jazz music. I just can't hear more than maybe thirty seconds of him before I begin to twitch.

My idea of punishment in Hell would be me being stuck in a rickety metal folding chair next to the kitchen while a never ending Miles Davis record plays.

7Comments:

Blogger Shark-Fu said...

You crack me up!

Sigh.

Miles was a St. Louis native, but some folks here don't dig him either. They would never admit it, but deep down in their hearts they cringe.

Three cheers for Dixie's honesty!

...just please, please, please don't tell me you don't like Aretha Franklin. A bitch couldn't take it!

12:49 AM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Aretha? Aretha was, is and always will be a goddess.

I had an Aretha Franklin poster in my bedroom when I was just in elementary school.

2:22 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

I just fainted in the library. :) I supposed this means you don't like John Coltrane or Thelonious Monk either. Sigh.

3:01 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'll take jazz over a few other types of music. And country is up there on the most of it I can't stand log...

5:03 AM  
Blogger Mimey said...

I'm with you on the jazz, it's like if you say you don't like it you're signing your own death-of-cool warrant, but I like it when rock music is given an air of jazz infused eccentricity. Obscure works for me.

8:31 PM  
Blogger Shark-Fu said...

Thank Gawd! Okay, we can still be friends...

Gonna go and listen to some old school Aretha right now!

3:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you Dixie... I love swing, big band, smooth jazz, blues... the stuff that has a definite melody/pattern to it. But some kinds of jazz, specifically Miles Davis, sounds too random for me to really enjoy it. I think it must be an acquired taste. I think of people who enjoy that kind of jazz the same as those who might really love pate, caviar, scotch. They think it's rich and delicious, but to me it's just kind of icky.

But that's okay. I agree with ABB, people are entitled to like what they like. I would never deride the of others, just as I expect others not to deride the things I like. It's all good, right?

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home