http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Hot and Fast

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Hot and Fast

It's hot. If you're in Europe, I don't have to tell you that because you're likely a puddle of sweat yourself. If you're in the US, you're probably in your own heatwave but you've got air conditioning.

Sweet, sweet air conditioning.

To that end, I'm desperately trying to keep all efforts to a minimum, blog entries included. We're just hitting the highlights here, folks!

~ Know all that lace knitting I've been doing? I've got one wrap and two scarves on needles. I put it all aside while I've been indulging myself in sock knitting. And...uh...I've completely lost, never to be seen again misplaced the row counter for the wrap and I've mixed up the row counters for the two scarves. I know for a fact that I'm in the middle of pattern rounds on all three and right now I have no earthly idea what row I'm on with any of them. Pardon me while I bash my sweaty forehead on a brick wall.

~ I'd like to say a special thank you to the customs agent that didn't make me pay customs and tax on 25 pairs of costume jewelry earrings sent to me by a friend. Of course after a half hour ride on a stuffy, hot streetcar in 97 degree heat to get to the customs office I was looking a bit crazed so maybe she either felt sorry for me or feared me.

~ I had to try on the sock I was knitting to see how much further I need to knit the foot. What a strange feeling of panic it gave me - almost like I was afraid I wouldn't get the sock off and the hot wool would somehow bond itself to my skin permanently.

~ Eh...enough of this. It's too hot to write. And my legs seem to be stuck to my leather office chair. Time for me to pry them loose and fetch more ice water.

11Comments:

Blogger sari said...

Arggh! I was wondering what happened to you. I must've sent you some heat wave thoughts, sorry!

I hope it cools off soon! Do you like your earrings??? I like mine! ;-)

11:21 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

I'm very much digging on mine! B said "Now I never have to buy you earrings again for the rest of your life!".

He's so wrong...

11:26 PM  
Blogger sari said...

Men! They're so funny that way!

5:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think my man got the most low maintenence woman on the planet. I dont' wear jewelry at all. I don't get my hair done. I dont' do my nails. I don't shop (yarn doesn't count!!!).

you almost have a pair for every single day of the month! :D that's mind boggling lol

12:28 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

I love earrings and you will need more -- men are indeed funny that way.

We're in a heat wave AND my air conditioner is broken. I don't feel like doing much of anything at all. Maybe I'll go to a movie where they will have air conditioning but it'll be so cold I'll have to take a sweater. :)

5:27 PM  
Blogger The DP said...

It is SO HOT and my office is a sauna and my house is a sauna. I was in an air conditioned train yesterday (the trains I take are supposed to be airconditioned but not all of them are) and I was downright COLD, it kinda felt good.
However, now that I am used to Europe, when I go to Mississippi in the summer, I have to bring a sweater with me every time I go to the movies or to the grocery store or the mall.

5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The best I can do is either send you an envelope that has been in my freezer, or point a big fan in your direction. Lord knows I'd do either for you in a second!

I started to roast as I read this!

Are your theaters A/C'd? Stores? Can you get a temp job?!

9:01 PM  
Blogger melusina said...

I can't believe it is hotter in Germany than it is in Greece! It has been quite pleasant here in Thessaloniki, we've had a few breezy, low humidity days, with highs only in the mid 80s.

But, and I feel guilty now, we have air conditioning.

9:58 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

I've just added another reason to the list of why I need to go to Greece.

Number one reason - learn to eat feta cheese and like it.

11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi -- I'm visiting via the Amazing Lace. I live in the Northeast US in an old house with no AC (except in one room), and so I can definitely understand the melting feeling. There really are some days when it's too hot to knit, though I didn't think so!

Hope all of your projects are going well and you can get them sorted out as soon as it cools down.

11:46 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Nice of you to drop by, Debby! I hope I get my projects sorted out too because I'd hate to start them all again!

11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home