http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Cleaning My Memories

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Cleaning My Memories

I've made good on my words and have gotten started on getting my apartment tidied up. I like to mix little tasks with larger jobs so after I gave the kitchen a washdown and before I started another load of laundry I decided to clean off the grease and fuzz that gets built up on my refrigerator magnet collection. I'm very uptight on the verge of being anal particular about how my magnets are arranged so to assist me in putting them back in their proper places I took a picture of the magnetic board on which I display my collection.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


All of them are special to me and I remember where I got every one of them.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Here you can see my magnet of Oriole Park at Camden Yards in Baltimore. Yes, I am an O's fan...and you keep that snickering to yourself, Mr. Fab! Two magnets are of old British adverts, both of which I bought in London. One is a magnet a buddy in New Zealand sent to me and the photo is of me and some of my best friends in the world taken when we visited Graceland together in November, 2004. I treasure the heart shaped magnet for no other reason than it was given to me by my Aunt Cora and there's nothing about her I don't treasure.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

These magnets of old film posters are some of the first magnets I collected. The teensy square ones are miniatures of Van Gogh and Monet paintings and of course I couldn't have visited Amsterdam without bringing home the little blue wooden shoe magnet.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I think of this as my identity corner. The American flag composed of Campbell soup cans and the round one that says "Some people are married to Germans and still go on to lead normal lives" was given to me by friends when I first moved to Germany. The little girls depicted on the card remind me of my dear friends back in America and that even though we're far apart, we're still as close together as these little friends. And the birdhouse magnet? It reminds me that home is indeed where the heart is.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I think of this as my travel corner. The house magnet was bought to me by Wolfgang when he made a trip to Sylt. There are a couple magnets from Berlin, including the sign for the Kurfürstendamm, the first street I ever walked on in Berlin. There's the obligatory Harrod's teapot (along with tea and coffee cups sent to me by friends in the US) and because I'm all about the cheesy stuff in life, a corny "Mind The Gap" magnet from London. The Bird's Custard magnet goes with the other British advert magnets I bought while visiting there and during that trip I bought the peach pie slice magnet. And the Wizard of Oz magnet? They were travelers too.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


The magnet on the bottom is of the Charles Bridge in Prague, a souvenir from a visit there by my MIL. I love to get quirky, funny cards and my favorites get displayed with my fridge magnet collection.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Darling Mollie sent me the nun card. Moll and I have the same sort of humor and we both love this nun. She seems to be an interesting combination of beatific and psychotic.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


This is my latest favorite card, sent to me by the wonderfully quirky and hilarious Poppy. She loves monkeys. I love monkeys. She's actually hung out with my sock monkey, Lottie. But this isn't just a photo of a sock monkey - it's a sock monkey surrounded by condoms. It's perfect.

And now that I'm getting my apartment whipped back into shape I'll be able to uncover the new magnet board I've purchased so I can get the rest of my memories displayed. My reward for being diligent.

9Comments:

Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

AHA! A kindred spirit! You KNEW I'd love this post, didn't you :) Now I know someone else as serious as I am!

4:01 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Your magnets are interesting -- I only have a few and they are boring. I love the nun card, but the picture of the sock monkey just takes the cake!

4:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never been a fridge magnets person but you have the coolest collection I've ever seen.

8:32 AM  
Blogger christina said...

"Some people are married to Germans and still go on to lead normal lives."

Haaaaaa! I love it! And the rest of your collection is phenominal. So many different memories in there.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Fridge magnets on a German fridge?! Gotta love it!!

Hey, how come I can't put your blog on my "feed" list?! I 've missed so many great posts! But I'll manually come here when I'm not spacey -- which I am far too often these days.

Carol

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made the collection!! I am up there :)

That is very nice Dix. I love it!

3:32 AM  
Blogger sari said...

Why is it Thursday
and you have not yet Haiku-ed
I think you slack off.

(though, I must tell you
I fully appreciate
magnet collection)

5:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that Graceland I see? Well, now I can see it! Of course, my eyes are open NOW. hee hee hee

10:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did PKB tell you that she also got a delinquint sock monkey card? Hers is drinking Milwaukee's Best.

4:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home