http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Friday Shuffle - Overcast With a Spot of Sun Edition

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Friday, October 20, 2006

Friday Shuffle - Overcast With a Spot of Sun Edition

This hasn't be a stellar week in the Peach household. It's not been horrible or traumatic but things haven't been going swimmingly. B's had a persistent stomach ache for nearly two weeks now that's connected to his physiology. People with spinal cord injuries can be healthy but since their nervous system doesn't work like normal it can create problems with how their body works - temperature regulation, circulation, digestion, etc. I don't think it's something serious - yet! - but he's been very uncomfortable and I worry about him. It's made him sleep poorly which makes me sleep poorly and that makes for two people feeling very, very sluggish.

Today was more of the same - him with a crampy stomach and me with a sharp headache that my normal headache medication wasn't touching plus I cut my right index fingertip while feeding the dog. I couldn't motivate myself today to do more than the bare necessities. I needed to go grocery shopping but instead opted to go up the street to Karstadt to pick up stuff to get me through until tomorrow. You know it's bad when you opt to do your grocery shopping in a department store. The weather today reflected our moods - heavy, gray, cloudy skies with bouts of pissy rain.

But like the sun that finally broke through in the afternoon there was one bright spot in my day. I was out walking Bonnie and saw a man on a bicycle with the most magnificent mullet I believe I've ever seen. Didn't matter that this guy is fifteen years out of style - this hairdo was incredible. This was a guy who has made up his mind to wear the hairstyle of his choice and since he made that commitment, he's determined to do it right. It wasn't one of those half-assed mullets that those who just can't get the mullet monkey off their back sometimes sport. Those "This? It's not a mullet! My hair's just a little longer in the back. That's all!" mullets. No, this guy's hair was the real deal - short and fluffy on the top, long and flowing in the back. It absolutely made my day. Not just to see a perfect mullet, which is sort of like seeing a dinosaur walking down Fifth Avenue, but to see that streak of defiance in this guy. Sure, he's out of style and has a laughable hairdo but damn if he's not being his own man!

Time to shuffle.
  1. Take Me To The River - Talking Heads
  2. Knoxville Girl - The Lemonheads (such a cheery pick for the day)
  3. Tonight, Tonight - Smashing Pumpkins
  4. Girl All The Bad Guys Want - Bowling For Soup
  5. The State I Am In - Belle & Sebastian
  6. Cruel To Be Kind - Nick Lowe
  7. Girls Talk - Dave Edmunds
  8. Fill My Little World - The Feeling
  9. Volare - Dean Martin
  10. Tall, Tall Trees - Alan Jackson
Bixente the iPod seems to be his own man too.

Y'all have a weekend filled with bright spots.

5Comments:

Blogger sari said...

I hope things get Peachier soon.

You've got me good there with #6, #7 and #9.

Gracias, Bixente!

2:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We've been in a terrible funk in Casa BelChris. I was ill at the beginning of the week and Chris got himself all kinds of wound up in knots over a job interview he had.

I seriously think however that had the weather not been grey and pissy that we would have felt better. I'm dreading the persistant gray skies of winter that are coming soon :(

I hope B gets to feelin' better soon! Hugs to you!

11:57 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

I hope you both feel better soon! I know what you mean about the weather. Winter hit Seattle suddenly, pretty much bypassing Fall!

Carol

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was so glad to see #6 on your shuffle, because I knew that would make you happy.

9:41 PM  
Blogger hexe said...

Hope you are both feeling better soon!

3:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home