http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: It's Sunday - It's Socktoberfest!

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Sunday, October 22, 2006

It's Sunday - It's Socktoberfest!

So I've got less than ten days left in October and so far I haven't finished a pair of socks yet. I had planned on getting two pair finished this month but unless the second pair is for a toddler, that ain't happening.

Darling Mollie's sunflower socks are nearing completion though. I'm half finished with the foot on the second sock so I'm hoping that by late Monday or early Tuesday I can cast on for a new pair. I'm wanting to show off Belinda's sock yarn dying abilities for her Wool Bunny business so my next pair will be from the Gryffindor colorway I bought from her. Pictures will be taken so they can be put on Wool Bunny's website.

I had planned on knitting socks for my sister as part of her Christmas gift but I don't think that's going to happen now. I have all of November to knit but I want to get the Gryffindors done and knit one more pair for Darling Mollie out of the pale pink Regia Silk so that can be sent together with the sunflower socks before the holidays and then there's the pair I've promised B for Christmas and that chews up all my pre-holiday knitting time. Looks like Sister gets socks for her birthday in January!

And that sets up my newly found sock knitting guilt. I love knitting socks. I swear, I've lost interest in knitting anything else right now and I had high hopes of knitting me a scarf and two pair of handwarmers this winter. I just don't have the burning desire to knit them - socks are all that's got my attention right now. Getting the desire and drive to knit socks isn't the problem...it's the sheer volume of what I need to get done that's got me down. I've gotten lots of requests for socks and I am thrilled that people want me to knit socks for them. I'm excited to do it. I really want to do it. And I will do it. But I hope folks understand that they're going to have to wait for them. I'm not blowing off anyone's desire for Dixie knit socks. They'll get done. It's just that they may have to wait until the tulips are up and the cherry trees are back in bloom before I can fulfill their requests. I don't even have a good way to set the list of who gets socks from me first except the way I've currently been handling the situation (aside from socks destined to be holiday gifts) which is: I have sock yarn already assigned to certain people. When I finish with one pair, I will pick the next pair by my desire to knit that particular yarn/colorway. If it's your assigned colorway, you get socks. If it's not, you just have to wait until I want to knit that yarn. There's no favoritism - it's all determined by what yarn strikes my fancy and has nothing to do with the person that's getting them socks. And as ever, Darling Mollie gets one pair for every pair I knit for someone else. I don't dare break the Darling Mollie agreement. She's way taller than me and isn't afraid to use it to her advantage.

Thank goodness I don't have any real pressing dilemmas in my life. My problem solving abilities are only good up to a certain level of importance.

3Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am keeping you and B in my prayers, that he and by extention you feel better soon. I would ask for socks, now I feel bad that I haven't, I would love Dixie made socks, but I don't want to put you out or stress you out and besides, I don't think I will be needing socks if your and my prayers are answered and I end up in Mississippi, but the lack of request is in no way to be construed as a lack of desire for such a covetted prize, just that I am not worthy. And my professor says I have run-on sentences, where is that coming from? I once crocheted a Christmas stocking for Lily because on her first Christmas there were no stockings to be found at the store, we still use it.

1:58 AM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Mississippi is the reason cotton blend yarn was invented!

How about this - you get stationed in Mississippi and the next time I come home for a visit we can meet up and I'll give 'em to you in person. :)

2:28 AM  
Blogger The DP said...

I beg to differ! I froze my butt off up in north mississippi. they have snow and everything, wool is tres "a propos"!
Now gulfport that is anohter story.

Also I am feeling you about the whole "feeling the yarn" thing. Just remember that your socks are masterpieces and if people have to wait then they have to wait. Genius cannot be rushed.

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home