http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: 11:11

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Saturday, November 11, 2006

11:11

Today's date is 11/11. It reminds me of my friend, Zoe, because it's her birthday. It reminds me that it's Veteren's Day in the US and the UK and Canada. It also reminds me that the Karneval season in Germany begins on 11/11 at 11:11.

A few years ago I noticed that I was seeing the numerals 11:11 quite often - sometimes three or four times a week. I mentioned it to friends and some reported the same - that they see 11:11 frequently enough that they take special notice of it when they do.

I looked up to see if there was any meaning behind 11:11 and on a few websites I read that it was a sort of cosmic alarm clock - that when one sees the numbers frequently - and there are people more likely to see 11:11 than others - something in the universe is trying to get one's attention. One is suppose to then be more in-tune with their surroundings because one is to learn something or become more aware of something.

It's a nice thought but then I wondered about the time before the advent of digital clocks and other things that show numbers. Was there another cosmic alarm clock for the "tuned in" or did the cosmos not choose to wake us up until technology advanced to the point of having digits constantly around us?

I've decided to put my own spin on it and I have my own little routine. I will often keep looking at the 11:11 until it changes to 11:12 - though not if I see it while I'm driving. I believe angels are all around us observing our lives, a la Der Himmel über Berlin or City of Angels and so I take that moment to think of the angels. I also think of my dad, think of Zoe and think of Sundra, a mutual friend of mine and Zoe's who also gets into the 11:11 thing.

I don't know of the cosmos is trying to get my attention or if I'm supposed to tune in to something great and powerful but I know that the frequency of my seeing 11:11 has only increased over the years. Maybe I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing - thinking of dear people and angels. I know it makes me happy to spend that minute having those thoughts and perhaps that's what the cosmos wants - for me to be happy.

And happy birthday, Zoe. Hope it was a sweet day for you.

9Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I often find myself seeing 12:34, and it became a good luck thing among my friends. Whenever we see it, the person who spots it quickly says '1234 make a wish!'-- sort of like wishing on a meteor, I guess. Silly, I know. It's the wishing time, like your 11:11.

10:34 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Oh! I see 12:34 a lot too! It reminds me of Darling Mollie because she reports seeing it a lot as well.

Now I'm going to make wishes when I see it.

11:05 PM  
Blogger ninjapoodles said...

You know what it is today? It's the call of your homeland, Baby. UGA beat #5 Auburn today in a HUGE upset. You are undoubtedly feeling the cosmic dusturbance created by hordes of giddy Georgians. And us Arkansans, since this puts US closer to a championship game.

Oh, and? The stompin' was AT AUBURN. 37-15. OUCH.

11:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The number stuff is weird, huh.

Long ago I began seeing a pattern in my life relating to the numbers 1 and 9. One example, I met my first husband on 9-1-1991. I was offered the chance to marry my second husband on 10-19-1999. Considering how bad the first marriage was I refused. I think I freaked the marriage registrar out a little I was so determined not to have anything to do with that particular date. I ended up making G wait nine days and we married on 10-28. :) Softer numbers, no association with failure.

I don't know if I changed my luck with this, but so far, so good.

11:38 PM  
Blogger ninjapoodles said...

oK, I just instantly reminded myself that you're from MS, NOT GA, so I made an a** of myself, but that's OK. I'm always thinking of you as being from Georgia...I'M SURE I CAN'T IMAGINE WHY, WHAT WITH THE "PEACH" THING AND ALL.

11:40 PM  
Blogger zoe xx said...

Bless you! I feel very important being mentioned all those times in your blog: thank you for remembering my birthday! I have always had a big thiing for 11:11, of course for me the significance was always my wn birthday, it was only when I got to know Sundra and you that I realised that other people notice it so much too.

I had a nice (although of course, sober!) day with lovely presents and lots of people that I love! Plus my sister got engaged which was a nice extra present!

Thanks again!

10:01 AM  
Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

It's okay if Belinda thought you were from GA, Dixie, because my son graduated from there and it was an awesome game. So thanks for the reminder, Belinda.

This numbers thing is quite interesting, isn't it. I don't think I've had anything like this in my own life--seeing the same number sequence regularly. But I, too, would see it as a cosmic "sign" and would use it for a moment of meditation. I like that!

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I now see 11:11 a lot since we talked about it and when I do, I think of you. :-)

5:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok. That last one was from Barefoot. Danged Blogger won't let me log in this morning.

5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home