http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Take a Raincheck Until Tomorrow?

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Thursday, November 01, 2007

Take a Raincheck Until Tomorrow?

I know y'all had your mouths set to hear about the second day of my trip (Visit to Sonic! Homecoming parade! My mother being fawned over by the assistant county prosecutor!) but I need to postpone it (As a kid I thought the word was "postphone") until tomorrow. B's pretty sick and I've been trying to keep him going.

Yesterday afternoon we were both taking a nap and B woke up suddenly with a 102 degree fever. He was shaking with the chills but nothing else seemed to be wrong with him. A couple hours later he started to cough and spit up mucus and his nose got slightly stuffy. Of course we suspected a cold but colds don't come on suddenly with a fever and it seemed unlikely that he has the flu since he got a flu shot three weeks ago.

I got his fever down to about 99 degrees before bed but we were still up all night with him coughing and spitting up. He has only a little control of his diaphragm so coughing up anything is very difficult for him and he can choke easily so I had to keep my eye on him until the coughing subsided.

We called the doctor early this morning to tell her what was going on and she came to our apartment late this afternoon. B's ability to control his body temperature is compromised by his spinal cord injury so we always need to try to get a fever under control. After a good going over she said he had a viral infection, prescribed an antibiotic and something for his fever, told him to drink lots and lots and rest and he'd be better in a few days. Right now his fever is up again to 101 degrees but he ate some supper and his coughing has stopped so I think he's improving a little.

Anyway, I've had very little sleep so if you'll let me off the hook until tomorrow before I continue my tale I'd appreciate it. I'll even sweeten the deal and include pictures.

Labels: ,

10Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry your husband is sick. I hope he gets better very soon. And you are amazing.

12:04 AM  
Blogger Tiffany said...

Hope B is feeling better. Get some rest!

12:22 AM  
Blogger Hilda said...

I'm so sorry B's feeling bad...but if it *had* to happen, I'm glad you were back home with him.

Give him my love and take care of yourself too!

1:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate to hear this. I hope B.'s better really, really soon and that you can catch up on your sleep. I'll be thinking of both of you.

3:19 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Get well soon, B! And Dixie, I'll bet you're glad to be back for this... even if you're exhausted.

Carol

5:49 AM  
Blogger Marshamlow said...

Oh dear, get well soon B. I hope you are able to get some sleep too.

11:40 AM  
Blogger sari said...

I hope B's feeling better soon, and that your jet lag is gone so you're feeling all right, too.

2:24 PM  
Blogger christina said...

Oh my! Just what you guys need right now. Well at least we know that B is getting the best of care. Feel better soon, B!

5:23 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

Take care of B like only you can. Hope he feels better soon and then you can rest and blog.

6:56 PM  
Blogger UmmFarouq said...

Get Better B !

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home