http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Mindless Filler

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Mindless Filler

Memes. Blog content that's guaranteed to leave you hungry a half hour later but I so love the book related ones. Plus it's either this quick bit of painless fluff or you get to hear about how I went to the post office today to send a registered letter to our digital TV service to get put on a discounted subscription. If you're handicapped they give you the full service for something like 15€ a month cheaper. Sucks to be a quadriplegic except when you're getting those fabulous discounts! "Herr G! I'm sorry but you'll never walk again!" "That's okay! I can get into the zoo for half price now!"

Tagged by the darling Southern Muslimah.

Rules! There are always rules! No free-form stylin' round these parts!

# I. You have to look up page 123 in the nearest book around you.
# II. Look for the fifth sentence.
# III. Then post the three sentences that follow that fifth sentence on page 123.
# IV. And then tag five people, just like you were tagged! (said with such enthusiasm!)

I have to ask, what's with the roman numerals? You know they had to have been passed on from blog to blog to blog with all the copying and pasting that was done. Are we supposed to be made to feel that we're doing something a little more serious if we use roman numerals?

The book nearest me is the book I've been reading for what seems like weeks now: The Last Town on Earth by Thomas Mullen. Very enjoyable book but I've been spending a lot of time knitting and limiting myself to about fifteen or twenty minutes of reading per day. I need to get finished with this pair of socks and really dive into this book because so far I'm less than halfway through it and I know I haven't gotten to the really good part yet.

Here goes. I'm flipping through the book. Flipping. Flipping. I'm sure this would go much more smoothly if I weren't flipping and typing at the same time. Ah! Here it is. Page 123.

Ooo. Wow. This is one of those pivotal parts of the book - where a decision is made that may impact the rest of the story. Good page!

Okay the page starts with a portion of a sentence. That doesn't count in the five I'm supposed to count down, does it? No, I'm not going to count it. Command decision made!

A conversation is going on:

"Are you not even going to go in and examine them?"
The lamp cast an orange hue on Doc's face, throwing shadows beneath his brow and nose and chin and frown. "I shouldn't."


Who needs to be examined and for what should they be examined? And is not examining them going to have an effect later on? Interest is piqued!

Done! No tagging though. I got so fired up with my command decision that I've decided to go buck wild crazy and not tag. However you're welcome to gank it for yourself if you wish.

And since we're on the topic of books and since I got all history buff on you yesterday I ordered this evening Blood on the Moon: The Assassination of Abraham Lincoln by Edward Steers. I had an Amazon gift certificate from my sister and so I gave in to the temptation. My love of history geekiness knows no bounds!

Labels: ,

3Comments:

Blogger UmmFarouq said...

Since you did such a bang-up job on this one, I've tagged you again. I'm sorry. I just like you. :)

See, here:

http://southernmuslimah.blogspot.com/2008/02/cereal-teachings.html

12:28 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

I love that page 123 turned out to be in interesting page instead of "He went home and took a nap." Or whatever.

3:54 PM  
Blogger TitanKT said...

Oh, you would be SO SORRY if I'd taken this challenge because I'm sitting here with three books:

Media and Cultural Studies: Keyworks and two Britannica Great Books: Machiavelli and Hobbes and Locke, Berkeley and Hume.

Woo... that's really trump the boringness of "He went home and took a nap," huh? That is just a freakin' PARTY compared to what you're liable to find on page 123 of Machiavelli!

4:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home