http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Friday Shuffle - Breaking Bad Edition

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Friday, February 08, 2008

Friday Shuffle - Breaking Bad Edition

I suppose I should write in proper paragraphs with proper sentence structure and tell a coherent story but I'm not sure I could pull it off today. And I feel like scribbling outside the lines.
  • False alarm on the cold thing, folks...I feel fine as frog hair today. I apologize if you feel as if you gave your "get well!" wishes in vain but perhaps they and my Jackie Chan-like immune system kicked that cold right outta me as I slept. Take that, germy germs!

  • I want to buy some new perfume. I don't actually need perfume. And I received two bottles of perfume for my birthday. But it's stinky perfume. It's stinky, old-lady smelling perfume I don't ever want to wear.

  • Before any old ladies get all up in my grill - no, I don't think old ladies stink. But admit it, there are perfumes that stink that reminds you of old ladies. And in the interest of fairness, the next time I'm critical of perfume I've received as a gift, I'll refer to it as stinky, slutty-two-dollar-whore smelling perfume.

  • All the laundry my MIL did while I was visiting America? It's dirty again! We're not quite back to Mount St. Filthy Clothes status but the hamper is full. And it's a big ass hamper. I believe this indicates one thing only. I need to leave town again.

  • As an immigrant to Germany who hit this land without knowing more than a few words of German I can say that I find this idea to be perhaps the most ignorant idea ever conceived. I'm not anti-immigrant. I am an immigrant. What I'm against is people moving to another country and absolutely expecting it to be some sort of branch country of where they left. And while I'm not an educator I believe I can safely say that the best way to learn a language is not by speaking a completely different language.
Time to shuffle.
  1. For The Girl - The Fratellis
  2. Crown Victoria - Robbers on High Street
  3. Foggy Mountain Breakdown - Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs
  4. Late Night Grade Hotel - Nanci Griffith
  5. New Day - The Kin
  6. Because The Night - Patti Smith
  7. Time Bomb - Rancid
  8. Give Me A Kiss (Just One Sweet Kiss) - Van Morrison
  9. Magic Woman Touch - The Hollies
  10. It's All Wrong, But It's All Right - Dolly Parton

Labels:

7Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"For immigrants to speak better German, Erdogan explained, they have to be able to speak their own mother tongue first." WTF???? When I came to the US and started High School, I didn't speak a word of English and there were no German teachers in the school either. You bet I learned English in an awful hurry. It took me about six months. Yes it was hard, but that's the way to do it. Just when I think I've heard it all, I'm forced to face ignorance again.

1:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love Flatt and Scruggs!! Being a Southern gal myself, they always bring tears to my eyes!!!
Glad your cold was a faux.

2:27 AM  
Blogger Rositta said...

I read that story and it's another sign of appeasement. Germany seems to do rather a lot of it, in my opinion. I hope Angela Merkel has a strong backbone. I think Erdogan thinks Germany is part of Turkey?...ciao

4:08 AM  
Blogger sari said...

Interesting. How many people are in Germany, anyway?

We have a lot of Spanish speaking people here, and a lot of people who just don't speak English. And hell, we're practically IN Mexico, but I can't remember anyone actually suggesting that we make Spanish our language. Though some idiot has suggested we build a nice big wall. (!)

4:13 AM  
Blogger UmmFarouq said...

We moved to Jordan so that our kids could learn Arabic. I am amazed sometimes at how up in arms we moms want to get because the Arabic schools' English programs are not to our standards. Well no kidding, it's a second language here.

Don't you know that the Turkish language is being well preserved in all of the Turkish-speaking homes in Germany? And if it isn't, then that is the fault of the parents, just as it would be my fault if my own kids struggled to speak English in our home. Good grief, everything cannot be put on the governments...folks are getting more and more indignant and most of all, lazy.

8:52 AM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Erdogan's problem was that Turkish immigrants - not recent immigrants but the children and grandchildren of immigrants - speak Turkish poorly and they speak German poorly so his solution would be to have Turkish only high schools, Gymnasiums and universities.

I simply can't find any logic in his argument but the look Merkel was giving him when he said it pretty much said "Not only no, but hell no!".

There's not a viable politician in German that would propose such legislation. Not unless they wanted their career to end in a moment.

Sari, there's about 82 million people in Germany. I believe about 2% of the population is Turkish but I'm not absolutely sure about that.

12:27 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

I think such a program would actually do a disservice to the Turkish people in Germany by completely isolating them from Germans.

5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home