http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: In Winter's Icy Grasp

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

In Winter's Icy Grasp

I believe that we're in the absolute pit of winter and there's no where to go from here but up. The weather is gray with grayer, windier, wetter weather on the way. Everyone is listless and bored and on the verge of putting on their grouchy pants. Little motivates us and procrastination is threatening to derail any progress we may attempt on anything we need to do.

I don't know about y'all but I could use some fun and stuff that simply makes me feel better. Or at least thinking about good stuff that makes me feel less in the grip of winter.
  • I'm reading a good book right now - The Last Town on Earth by Thomas Mullen. It's a novel set in Washington state (Do you do that too? Always add the "state" when referring to Washington to make sure people don't think you mean DC? Maybe I always do it because I used to live outside of DC and if you said just Washington people knew you meant DC.) during the Spanish flu epidemic of 1918. A lot of parallels can be drawn between that time in history and now and the author intends for us to see those parallels - they can be a little heavy handed. I'm enjoying it because I tend to really like historical novels.

  • On Sunday I'll be going to Berlin to see my friend Elaine. I find myself sweating over what to wear, which seems ridiculous because of all my friends from childhood, Elaine was probably one of the least interested in being thought of as fashionable. She wore was suited her and that was one of the things I liked about her. Elaine wasn't much of a blind trend follower. I, on the other hand, have been known to say "Baaaaa!" a little too often.

  • Know what else I'm sweating? What knitting project to take with me on the train. I will be on a new project by then and I want it to be a project that has a pattern repeat that's easy to memorize so I don't have to drag around the pattern with me.

  • I miss babies. I see babies on the street all the time but they're not babies I know. I'm at that point in life where no one I know has kids that are babies and their own kids are too young to have babies on their own. I suppose when you reach your forties you have a baby deficit that lasts until you and your contemporaries hit your fifties. I miss giggling with babies though. They're so easy to amuse and their heads smell good.

  • I'm glad I'm seeing Elaine on Sunday because that means we can go out to lunch. Few things cheer me up like going out to lunch. It's not so much the eating part, but the being in a restaurant and having someone wait on you. It feels a little more luxurious to have someone wait on you in the middle of the day. In the evening it seems more expected but taking time in the middle of the day to go out to lunch feels more - well, decadent isn't quite the right word. It seems more leisurely. And going to lunch with girlfriends makes me think of classic movies where ladies did such things. It just seems so girly to have lunch with friends and talk. It always cheers me up to go out to lunch with a girlfriend or two.

  • I'm thinking that two of the greatest feelings a kid can wake up with is waking up and knowing it's their birthday and waking up and seeing that it's snowed a foot outside and school will be canceled.

  • I'd love to go to a flower show. Something held in a place that's warm and a bit steamy and filled with color. That's one of the things that drives me crazy about winter - the utter lack of color.

  • Red velvet cake and a big glass of icy cold milk. That's all.

Labels:

6Comments:

Blogger sari said...

red velvet cake sounds yummy.

i'll tell you what, i'll email you a picture of the baby and smell his head for you, ok? you're right, it's one of the best scents around.

2:01 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

I hear you on being in the grip of winter. It's been a pretty easy one so far here in RI, but I think it's the darkness that's getting to me. I think the only reason I'm not jumping off the bridge is that PBS is showing the complete Jane Austen, one book every Sunday night. Oh, and Lifetime appears to have moved the Golden Girls back to a 6 p.m. time slot, so my world makes more sense now.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Marshamlow said...

My winter is pretty sunny and warm this week. Trying to soak it up as much as possible. I was born in Washington State, I always add the state too. Unless I am in California or Oregon at the time I am speaking, then I just say Washington.

I am going to have to read that book. My grandparents were there then, I know a bit of their story. I am so excited. I wonder if I can find it at the library today.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Mahala said...

I love red velvet cake. It's hard to find anyone who still makes it though and the mixes.. they just don't taste the same.

4:27 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

Funny you mention Red Velvet Cake. I made one last year and hubby has been asking for it again. I was thinking of making it for Valentine's Day.

I totally understand the whole lunch thing. 'Doing linch' implies like you have all the time in the world with nary a care and isn't that what we want....

I say Washington State too but I grew up in Va. So, like you said, maybe that's why.

7:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I hope you have fun going to lunch with your friend. She's going to get to hug you. That's all I can think about, your friend gets to see you and hug you. I long for that.

Have fun and soak in the goodness of a good friend.

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home