http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Friday Shuffle - A Little Oven Edition

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Friday, March 14, 2008

Friday Shuffle - A Little Oven Edition

When I was a child I remember reading a book called A Little Oven. It's about two little girls who are best friends and when one of the girls gets tired her mother would pick her up and say "I guess what you need is a little loving and a little hugging," and the little girl would repeat back to her "A little ‘ovin’ and a little ‘uggin,". The other girl then told own mother that she needed "a little 'ovin" and the mother misinterprets her meaning and instead of giving her hugs and loves takes her instead to a toy shop to buy her a little toy oven. I loved that book because when I was little and feeling blue my own mother was quick to give me "A little ‘ovin’ and a little ‘uggin".

And now forty-plus years after reading that book I still, once in a while, need a "little 'ovin" and y'all understood me. I was feeling pretty frustrated and even a bit helpless and y'all came through with your gentle words and kind wishes. For that I'm grateful and very humbled by your generosity.

On to other happenings.
  • I suppose one would call it a grand coincidence that I got hemmed in by the ground meat case in the grocery store by some woman who was looking at the packages as if they were the Rosetta Stone while on the store's PA system Steeler's Wheel sang Stuck In The Middle With You.

  • Yesterday I received this book from Darling Mollie. I definitely don't give a crap about knitting a Madonna - either the Like A Virgin version or the pink pointy-ass bra version - but I'm all over the Beatles and the Audrey Hepburn and the David Bowie as Ziggy Stardust. Moll is after me to knit her a Godzilla and a Mr. T. "How can a woman who wears Chanel so well want knitted versions of Godzilla and Mr. T?", you say. Darling Mollie is nothing if not multi-faceted.

  • I am attempting to give up drinking Coke. I stopped drinking real Coke years ago and switched to Diet Coke and now drink Coke Zero but I'd like to give it all up and stick with tea and water. I'm giving y'all permission to bet amongst yourselves on how long this actually lasts.

  • I wish you could feel the socks I'm knitting now. They're so soft and squishy it's like a pair of socks made of Wonder Bread.

  • Remember when Wonder Bread made commercials touting how good for you their squashy, pumped-full-of-air their bread was for your growing body? How full of crap were they?! - although you have to admit that a tomato sandwich on Wonder Bread is exquisite. The bread turns all pink from the mixture of mayonnaise and tomato juice and the bread itself - a normally flavorless affair - takes on the taste of the mixture. Eating one takes me right back to a July day in 1972.

  • One last bit of yarn talk before we shuffle: Wait. I forgot what it was. Something on TV distracted me and I forgot what I was going to write. Feel free to heave that sigh of relief. I'll remember it though and annoy you with it another day.
Let's shuffle.
  1. Lukey - Great Big Sea
  2. Village Green Preservation Society - The Kinks
  3. Under The Blacklight - Rilo Kiley
  4. Blue Skies - Albert Hammond, Jr.
  5. My Wife - The Who
  6. She's A Woman - The Beatles
  7. Cherry Bomb - John Mellencamp
  8. Southern Anthem - Iron & Wine
  9. Tick Tick Boom - The Hives
  10. Tom Sawyer - Rush

Labels: ,

3Comments:

Blogger sari said...

I hope you're feeling better today. Sometimes it feels good just to get it out.

I would like the King King, and Godzilla, myself. ;-)

1:23 AM  
Blogger Mahala said...

Bunny bread is almost as good as Wonder bread.. but just almost.

It's good to see you in better spirits today. I understand the need to vent sometimes and that it's not that you want someone to fix it.. you just need to get it out. It's kinda like rebooting yourself, getting it all out so that you can wake up the next day and get back in the swing of life.

I think. Or something. You know what I'm trying to say.

3:12 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

The perfect tomato sandwich is on Wonder Bread with Hellman's Mayo on both sides of the bread. The tomato has to be fresh-picked from the garden and still slightly warm from the sun. YUM and YUM! And I haven't had one in years.

3:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home