http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Friday Shuffle - Those Hard Rocking Osmonds Edition

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Friday, March 07, 2008

Friday Shuffle - Those Hard Rocking Osmonds Edition

It's a little embarrassing to let anyone know that until about five years ago my husband was convinced that the Osmonds were a hard rock band. However to be fair to him one has to remember that he grew up in East Germany. Listening to West German radio or watching TV was illegal when he was a teenager but B was lucky enough to live where he could get TV and radio signals from West Germany so he did it anyway. He's much more versed in western music, TV and movies than he is about what was available in East Germany but, as you'll soon learn, there was one glaring exception.

We were both watching the German version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire? A question asked the name of a famous night club in Paris and the club they were talking about was Le Crazy Horse Saloon. So while the contestant was hemming and hawing over his answer I could hear B singing something under his breath and to me it sounded like he was singing the Osmonds' Crazy Horses. I thought to myself "There's no way he knows that song. That song is like 30 years old and it was the B side of One Bad Apple. He can't be singing that song.". I had to know though so I said "Uhhh...are you singing Crazy Horses?" and thinking "He's not even going to know what I'm talking about." and B started to sing louder "Crazy horses! Waaaaah! Waaaah!".

I was floored that he knew that song and he said "Yeah, that was the only song I ever heard from that hard rock band. What were the called?"

"The Osmonds?"

"Yeah! That's it! I never heard anything from them again."

"Yeah, that's the Osmonds but they're not a hard rock band." and then I proceeded to tell him more about the Osmonds. He'd even seen Donny and Marie Osmond on CNN but never connected them to the Osmonds that he knew.

I was laughing like mad about him thinking they were some hard rock band and he was saying "I swear! I thought they were like Deep Purple or something!" which only made me laugh harder. So B said to me "I swear, we all thought that. That's the only song we ever heard from them. Ask Ines (a friend of ours) the next time you talk to her. She'll tell you."

So a few weeks later I did see Ines at a party and I said "Ines, do you remember the Osmonds?. She thought for a moment and replied "They did that Crazy Horses song, right?". I said that they did and then I asked "So what sort of music did they sing?" and she looked at me like I'd asked her if Shakespeare ever wrote something and answered "Hard rock" which prompted me to fall over laughing and for B to start yelling "See! See! I told you!".

You know if you forget about Jay Osmond flailing around as he sings the song and just don't look at the video and you can pretend that you've never before heard of the Osmonds then you can perhaps sorta kinda see how B got fooled.

Time to shuffle.
  1. All The Young Dudes - Mott The Hoople
  2. Aretha, Sing One For Me - Cat Power
  3. The Longest Day In The Afternoon - Irving
  4. Garden Party For The Murder Pride - Oranger
  5. Monday Morning - Fleetwood Mac
  6. Oxford Comma - Vampire Weekend
  7. Amarillo By Morning - George Strait
  8. The Man Who Told Everything - Doves
  9. Southern Cross - Crosby, Stills & Nash
  10. Here Comes My Baby - Cat Stevens

Labels:

8Comments:

Blogger UmmFarouq said...

That is hysterically funny. The Osmonds in there with Deep Purple...yes, they certainly fit.

7:59 AM  
Blogger The DP said...

I just about fell out from this post. I love being married to someone who did not watch the same shows or listen to the same music as a child. Well except for the parts where my weird husband says the Beatles are crap. But it never, ever gets boring.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Marshamlow said...

On no, that is so funny. Have a great weekend.

1:59 PM  
Blogger Gardner said...

The do look rather "Deep Purple"-ish. Sweet story.

8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DP, that is the funniest story & what a hilarious video--loved both!! When I was a little girl I had a major crush on Donnie & I was jealous of Marie because I thought she was his girlfriend. And I don't even have the excuse of having grown up in East Germany. heh heh

I've never heard that song before & I can totally see why B would think they were a hard rock band. Man, those Mormons rocked the house in that video! I had no idea. Watch out Deep Purple, you've got competition!

11:38 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

That story is hysterical! I'm just picturing the hard rockin' Donnie and Marie! Also good shuffle -- love Vampire Weekend and Cat Power and Cat Steven especially.

10:03 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

OMG! That's hysterical! I LOVED Donny! His posters from Teen Beat were all over my walls.
LMAO! Hard Rock! LOL!!!

5:51 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

That is just too hilarious!

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home