Friday Shuffle - Geography Can Be Fun! Edition
The question on tonight's episode of Wer wird Millionär? (Who Wants to be a Millionaire?) was "What river's name is not also the name of a U.S. state?
B immediately piped up with "Hudson!".
"Right," I replied. "Now tell me where the Hudson River is."
"Yeah, but where in New York?"
"What? It's in New York!"
"Yeah. But I wanted you to say it's in New York City."
"I did! I said it was New York!" By now B was beginning to sound slightly annoyed.
"Yeah, but one is a state and one is a city. New York City is in the state of New York but it's not all of New York. It's just a city. It's just a part of New York."
"New York is part of New York. New York is in New York."
"Right," I replied. And if you don't want any confusion you need to add the "city" to the name. That's the whole name. New York City. It's like Oklahoma City. Oklahoma City is in Oklahoma. New York City is in New York. Iowa City is in Iowa. And so on."
"Kansas City is in Kansas!"
"Uhhh...yeah. But that's not usually the Kansas City people are generally talking about. The Kansas City folks are usually talking about is in Missouri."
"Now you're just messing with me."
"And of course you know that Washington, D.C. is on the other side of the country from Washington State."
I shut up. B's got a long, long, long fuse but even I know to quit when I'm ahead.
"Virginia City is in Nevada."
Pushing things right to the edge can be so tempting sometimes.
- Poetry Man - Queen Latifah
- Song To John - June Carter Cash
- Show Me The Way - Peter Frampton
- Is There A Ghost - Band of Horses
- Rock 'n Roll Fantasy - Bad Company
- All The Things That Go To Make Heaven And Earth - New Pornographers
- Games Without Frontiers - Peter Gabriel
- Walk Right Back - Everly Brothers
- Girl, You'll Be A Woman Soon - Urge Overkill
- Smokin' in the Boys Room - Mötley Crüe
Labels: Friday Shuffle