http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Same Dots, Different Day

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Monday, April 28, 2008

Same Dots, Different Day

Y'all have been hankering for a bulleted list, haven't you?
  • If you're an American somewhere between the ages of...say...35 and 50...and you hear the word "hanker", do you automatically think of this classic cartoon ditty?
  • Know what you get when you cross stays-on-16-hours lip gloss and your favorite t-shirt? A new dust rag! I tried everything I could think of to get rid of it and that stuff is stuck fast.
  • I talked with my mom last night and we got on to the topic of my great-grandfather - my grandfather's dad. I'd always heard that we had a Cajun woman in our family but I never knew who she was. Turns out she was my great-grandfather's mother - a Cajun woman who was married to a riverboat gambler. Riverboat gambler daddy was shot and killed (I'm not even going to speculate on that), Cajun mama remarried a jerk and my great-grandfather ran away from home and lived with family friends and they all eventually moved to Arkansas. And my great-grandfather, as a teenager, would ride into Mexico with his buddies to steal horses. Our family has gotten so much milder over the years.
  • Every clock in my apartment, save two, is wrong. One is on my microwave and I set that myself and one is on my digital TV decoder and they send the time signal for that. The rest? All of my radio controlled clocks? All of them are wrong and all of them show different times. Evidently they're getting a bad signal or someone has found out that it makes me a bit wiggy if I am not able to tell what time it is and they're trying to mess with my head. It's working!
  • Y'all would be amazed at how much I've caught up on my laundry. Bashed head aside, buying that second drying rack has changed everything.
  • Anyone want to come by and help me fold and put away clothes?

Labels:

6Comments:

Blogger Mahala said...

OMG!! Lulu and I can often be heard singing the final verse to that little ditty:

Me: "I hanker forahunka.. a slabbersliceo' chunka.."

Lulu: "A snack that is a winner, and yet won't spoil my dinner!"

And in unison: "I HANKER FOR A HUNKA CHEEEEESE!"

No one else in the office has a clue where it's from. They think we're nuts.

12:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have no idea how much I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to come help you with your laundry. You could sit on the sofa and let your toenails dry and I'll fold your clothes. Doesn't that sound so great??

Too bad about the lip gloss and the t-shirt ordeal. Can you get a new shirt?

Don't you just love stories about your relatives of past generations? Yours is much more interesting than mine. I love the riding to Mexico and stealing horses part. I bet I would have liked him.

1:54 PM  
Blogger UmmFarouq said...

Love the hanker for a hunka song. Saturday morning memories! How about this one:

"They call me Yuck Mouth
'cause I don't brush!
I like my teeth like this...

They call me Yuck Mouth
'cause I won't brush!
How's about a little kiss?!

I got some beef in my teeth, got some chicken, too
Ow, that's a cavity! Hey, that's new!

So if you don't brush your teeth
well then you too
can be a Yuck Mouth!

2:44 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

It drives me crazy if two clocks are in the same room (or within viewing distance in different rooms) and show different times. The microwave and the stove MUST show the exact same time! So, I feel your pain.

And as soon as you said "hanker," I thought "Time for Timer!" before I even clicked the link. :-)

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I really enjoy your blog. Just one question, why isn't there a dryer for you to use? I gather they aren't all that popular in Germany? I would go crazy waiting for my laundry to dry. And doesn't it get all stiff?

11:14 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

mahala - I'd pay money to hear you sing that!

Sugar Fluff - I'd love to have you here with me, laundry folding and pedicures or not!

UmmFarouq - I'd forgotten all about Yuck Mouth until you brought it up!

Ria - I've got the clocks straight now. It really was driving me batty. I reckon they were just not getting a good signal.

I looked up all those Time for Timer songs on YouTube. I couldn't believe that I could remember all the words.

Anon - I'm glad you popped in to read! As for clothes dryers, there are a lot of reasons folks don't have them. They're easy enough to get but homes and apartments here don't always have room for them - my apartment is one of those. Electricity is much more expensive here than in America so they cost much more to run. And many apartment buildings offer drying rooms for you to hang your laundry in and it gets dryer faster.

I did have a washer that was a washer/dryer combo. Same machine - you load in the clothes and it washes and then when the wash cycle is over it switches on the dryer and dries the clothes. I only used the dryer cycle for towels and when the dryer broke I never got it fixed. By the time I bought a new washer I'd gotten used to hanging clothes to dry. They do dry stiffer but I'm used to it. And my electric bill likes it.

11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home