http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: There's Always More Good Than Bad

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

There's Always More Good Than Bad

It's still hot here. We seem to swing between sorta-hot-and-humid and hot-as-hell-but-dry. Friday is supposed to be the combo of hot-as-hell-and-humid and boy oh boy won't I just be the picture of joy!

Ice water and iced tea and ice cream are helpful - and by "helpful" I mean "they keep me from weeping". I've curbed most of my optional activities which means most non-essential housekeeping duties have been put on hold. If I can't wear you, eat you or you're not a part of my bathroom, I'm having as little to do with you as possible. I've done very little knitting because the heat makes me so sluggish and sleepy that I end up messing up more than I create. Reading, however, has not been curtailed in the least. I could be on the surface of the sun and still manage to read a good book.

Nights are bad. I have the windows open and a fan on but it doesn't stop the pillow from becoming a scratchy, sweaty, uncomfortable trap for my head. Turning it doesn't help. The chirping of the crickets outside my window remind me of how hot it remains overnight. If one truly can tell the temperature by how often a cricket chirps then these crickets are telling me the outside temperature is somewhere between misery and mouth-of-Hell.

I wash my hair a lot. I can't bear for my hair to be all sweaty so I wash it, dry it and then put it into a long braid. I hate to just braid my fresh, clean hair but if hair touches my bare skin - say on my sweat-slicked arms, I will go berserk. It skeeves me out completely.

And despite it all, things aren't so bad. I don't have to go sit in a hot, stuffy office all day. I can nap when the heat becomes unbearable. And tomorrow is our wedding anniversary - our ninth. My darling husband has promised me lovely gifts that will be delivered tomorrow. And best of all, when it's blistering hot, we'll sit in front of the fan and eat ice cream and remember how lovely our wedding day was and how we'd do it all again if we could.

Labels:

9Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I posted in the last thread- unmentionables in the freezer. Just be sure to dampen them slightly to get some crystals. People do it wrong a lot.

That's my input of the day. Frozen underwear.

Darling Mollie

10:56 PM  
Blogger Significant Snail said...

Several years back I lived in a climate that really didn't require air conditioning and so most homes didn't have them. But then we had a heat wave. I was so desperate one night that I slept in a wet t-shirt. I guess your husband might appreciate that!

12:58 AM  
Blogger Hilda said...

Because I live in Miami and I have completely and totally evolved to where I can only function in a climate-controlled environment, I am incapable of comprehending living without air conditioning.

Really. I'm not kidding. We NEVER turn the air conditioner off in my apartment. We have it on Automatic and if we are in the house we set the thermostat no higher than 78F EVER. When it's cool outside and we open the windows we still don't turn off the A/C it shuts itself off.

Dixie - I'm hot thinking about you being so hot. Can't you get one of those window air-conditioners? They're really small and efficient - like this one http://www.buy.com/prod/goldstar-gwhd5000-window-air-conditioner/q/loc/111/202749649.html.

They must have them in Germany. It could be you and B's anniversary present to each other!

Stay cool...and Happy Anniversary!

2:38 AM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Happy Anniversary to both of you. It's hot and sticky here too, thank god for air conditioning. We are getting a lot of violent thunder storms recently and have surpassed rain record back to the 30's. Wacky weather everywhere this year...ciao

4:02 AM  
Blogger BranV said...

Oh no way. I actually cry when I get too hot...it's like I'm mourning my own sweat. I'm speaking directly to your hypothalumus now...okay, buddy, time to earn your keep. Just cool poor Dixie down a few degrees, and I promise she'll reward you in Cheetos.

It's so hot here I stooped to salad for dinner tonight. Which just meant I was eating a PBJ by 9:00 pm.

4:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since I live in Central Florida, I can identify - our AC is on almost year round. When the men at work attempt to lower the thermostat , I give them the evil eye . I am middle-aged so my body doesn't take kindly to heat. :)
Hang in there-invest in the window unit if your apt is set up for it. Will make you much happier.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

I live near the ocean, where according to conventional wisdom, A/C is not needed. Except, of course, when I desperately DO need it. My landlord adheres to conventional wisdom - for my side of the house. His side has full central air. Right now it's not so bad, but earlier this month I felt your pain. Thank God I work in an air conditioned environment.

I hope the heat wave passes soon!

4:19 PM  
Blogger hexe said...

Have a wonderful Anniversary - I'll hope some cooler weather is on the horizon for both of us. The kids can't go out and play because it's so miserable here. Two kids, lots of energy, hot, humid weather - I'm right there crying with you.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Thank you all for the lovely anniversary wishes (my darling husband bought me a foxtail link gold chain for our anniversary and a couple books) and for the commiseration for my heatwave.

I could get a standalone A/C unit (our windows will not accommodate window units). My MIL's gentleman friend offered me one that he already has. I didn't take him up on it because:

A. Most of the time I don't need it and storing it would be a pain in the neck.
B. B can't regulate his body temperature like everyone else can and he gets cold very easily. Air conditioned air is very uncomfortable to him and it make him feel crummy.
C. I pay 19 euro cents (nearly 30 US cents) for one kilowatt hour of electricity. I simply am not going to pay that sort of money for air conditioning.

It'll storm here tomorrow and then it'll be in the mid to high 70s over the weekend and next week. Y'all are good to see me though this period of discomfort and whining! :)

9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home