http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Flaming Lips

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Flaming Lips

It's a bit sad to me when I get a gift that I thought I really, really wanted and end up not enjoying so much. All that effort and expense that someone put out to get me what I asked for and in the end it sits on a shelf, unappreciated and unloved. This doesn't happen terribly often but when it does I actually feel sorry for the shunned object.

Fletcher the iPod in no way fits into this category. I love him. He is with me at all times. Not only can I tote around with me so much more music than I could when I used Bixente the iPod but now I can carry with me podcasts. Until now podcasts had to be enjoyed by me while I sat at my computer and often I wouldn't bother with them because it's hard to write when someone's chatting in my ear. Now when I'm doing chores or running errands I'm as likely, if not more, to be listening to a podcast as I am listening to music. Podcasts fit my love of hearing stories and learning an amazing amount of trivia.

Last week I heard on the This American Life podcast a fascinating story of a boy who, nearly 100 years ago, went missing in a swamp in Louisiana and was later found. Two families claimed this boy to be theirs but the wealthier family ended up with the boy. Later the descendents did research to find who this boy really belonged to. As I shopped for groceries I was completely hooked into that tale. HowStuffWorks.com has a bunch of podcasts that keep me entertained and I've learned all sorts of trivia about redheads, going over Niagra Fall in a barrel, the Jefferson Bible, the Spanish Inquisition, medieval torture devices, moonshine and so on as I clean the toilet or go fetch bread at the bakery. National Public Radio has a treasure trove of podcasts. There are podcasts about books, movies, music, politics, food and my favorite is Wait, Wait...Don't Tell Me - an on air game show about the previous week's news events. And it's the one that caused me a bit of trouble tonight.

Tonight as I listened to the latest episode of Wait, Wait... I was making Spanish rice for supper and in my distraction I seem to have spooned in way too much cayenne pepper. The first bite wasn't so bad but as I ate more my mouth began to burn to the point where I'm surprised that my tongue and palate aren't blistered. My eyelids were sweating.

Maybe I should email HowStuffWorks.com and suggest they do a podcast about how hot peppers work.

Labels: ,

7Comments:

Blogger TitanKT said...

Being from the South you probably already know this, but just in case (and just because I care!): drink a glass of milk. It will help with the burning.

3:55 AM  
Blogger hexe said...

Isn't NPR just wonderful? I even listen to Click and Clack - not because I know anything about cars, but just to laugh. Enjoy the podcasts!

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So... who did the little boy belong to?

8:59 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

I can live without many things but not my podcasts. Besides Fresh Air and This American Life, I love Geek Speak from an NPR channel KUSP. I can't live without my Geeks.

10:12 PM  
Blogger The Frizzy Hooker said...

That was a great episode. Later that day I went online to read more about the story.

2:54 AM  
Blogger sari said...

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

3:20 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Katy - I did use the milk trick. It saved my skin.

hexe - I used to listen to NPR all the time when I lived in the US but it's hard for me to listen to them now. The podcasts have filled in wonderfully.

Lisa - I don't want to spoil the story for you but if you Google the name Bobby Dunbar I'm sure you'll be able to read the story. It's very interesting.

Molly - Once you get hooked on podcasts, there's no turning back.

Frizzy Hooker - It really was the best episode I've heard. Just fascinating.

Sari - And you can take that on good authority!

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home