http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Friday Shuffle - Flowers and Music Edition

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Friday, February 13, 2009

Friday Shuffle - Flowers and Music Edition

At the risk of pissing off some of you, I have to say that I don't understand folks who foam at the mouth at the mere mention of Valentine's Day. It's an optional day. Celebrate it or don't but if you don't celebrate it or feel any sort of need to be especially romantic with your partner on that day or if you don't have a partner at all, why get hacked off at the rest of us who like Valentine's Day? Why tell us we're wasting our time, wasting our money, and are being slaves to the candy, flower, and greeting card companies? Some of us like to do something a little extra for our sweethearts on that particular day. There's no need for y'all to be pissing in our Wheaties. I never got to be a mother and never will. Is that an excuse for me to get all wound up about Mother's Day and throw a wet blanket on the celebrations others are having? Of course not. If you don't celebrate Valentine's Day because you just don't care for it or because you don't have anyone with whom to celebrate it that's fine, but if you begrudge the rest of us enjoying that day, please unknot your underpants before they become wedged in your colon.

Wow. I don't know where that came from. I didn't start out with that little rant in mind but I have to say that I feel better for having let it out. Thank you for indulging me!

Time for some picture magic. The daffodils I bought today here seen at about 2pm. Roll your cursor over them to see them as they appeared at 8pm.



They're the flowers B instructed me to get for myself for Valentine's Day. I think he had something a little more fancy and traditional for Valentine's Day in mind but I liked the price tag on these - three euro. Hey - I'd rather take the money I saved and spend and hour poking around the iTunes store. I may be romantic but I'm also practical.

Speaking of iTunes, it's time for Fletcher to shuffle.
  1. Atlantic City - The Hold Steady
  2. Use Somebody - Kings of Leon
  3. Whip In My Valise - Adam Ant
  4. Thunder Island - Jay Ferguson
  5. I Made A Mess Of This Town - Scott Miller & The Commonwealth
  6. The Rake's Song - The Decemberists (Fletcher shuffled this up out of habit - I haven't been able to stop listening to this song for a week now.)
  7. While You Wait - Mark McAdam
  8. Satisfaction Guaranteed - The Firm
  9. Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen
  10. Instant Karma! - John Lennon

Labels:

3Comments:

Blogger TitanKT said...

You said a key word there, Dixie... doing something a little EXTRA. I guess my only... hesitation... is that for some people, it's the ONLY thing all year. And either way, in too many cases, it's never just a thoughtful little gesture, it's something they have to be hit over the head with. Although, if that's necessary, why bother?

I witnessed countless men purchasing flowers and balloons and such at the store tonight. I always just feel bad that men (typically the commercialization of this event is aimed at men) are the ones who are targeted and that they may feel that if they don't do SOMETHING, they will be in the dog house. How sad.

I'm the kind of person who thinks.. sure... a reminder to be EXTRA romantic or sweet or sexy or attentive on V-day... but really, the truly meaningful things come from love... all the time... and not from a reminder from Zales or a florist once a year.

At any rate... that was MY unexpected rant and all I really wanted to say is how charmed I am at your daffodils. Talk about inspiration! How gloriously happy those are! Tell B I applaud his choice and that it is clear his beautiful girl is as cherished and loved as any ever was.

Cheers to you both! Happy V-Day!

P.S. To Sari, my Arizona Valentine, my word verification for this post is SOCKESS. Which seems appropriate on the blog of the woman who knits socks.

4:52 AM  
Blogger IslandPearl said...

Dixie...I agree with you 100% You laid it out there pretty succinctly, and I really like your Mother's Day analogy.

Nicely done!

7:44 AM  
Blogger sari said...

Must've been the Adam Ant, ha.

You said it perfectly!

10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home