http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Happy

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Monday, July 25, 2005

Happy

It's been an excellent twenty-four hours around here.

Last night B and I went to see Blackmore's Night in concert. It's a group headed by rock guitar legend Ritchie Blackmore (you know, the guy who's responsible for the opening riff of Smoke on the Water being the first thing a budding young rock guitarist learns) and they perform a fusion of rock and Renaissance music. B and I discovered them three or four years ago and they grew to be our favorite band. And it doesn't hurt that B's totally in love with this face. He thinks Candice Night is the human form of an angel.

Let me first say that getting B to a concert is a daunting task. First, it's very difficult for him to sit upright in his wheelchair for more than a couple hours. Three is usually is max. Four is tough. Five takes a near miracle. The only time I've seen him sitting for longer than that was the day we were married and it truly was a miracle. Now add to that the transportation problem. The concert venue was too far for him to just drive to with his wheelchair and streetcars late at night are unreliable as they don't drive very frequently. So we had to call the handicap transport service we use on occasion. They don't normally drive on weekends or at night so we were prepared to beg and pay them lots of money but as they adore B (and honestly, who doesn't?) they were glad to drive us. The owner of the service did, actually - on his wedding anniversary, no less.

We had fairly good seats at the concert. It was open seating and we were about twelve rows back - me in a seat and B in the aisle. He loved being right in the center of everything and was convince that not only did Candice Night notice him but at times she was singing right to him. Could be true - I'll not burst that bubble of his.

The show itself was wonderful. Two hours of the best songs and mind-boggling guitar work from Ritchie Blackmore. The audience was thrilled - everyone up out of their seats (well...not everyone), clapping, singing, dancing. At least 100 people were dressed in Resaissance garb and it only lent to the atmosphere. Now B's sold on the idea of dressing in Resaissance garb should they come to Magdeburg again.

The best part of it was seeing B. The sheer joy and happiness on his face was like nothing I've seen. It was like for those two hours he was transported to another place where there was nothing that stopped him from being like everyone else. He sang. He clapped (as good as his twisted hands will let him). He shouted at the end of songs. He was having the time of his life and I feel so lucky that I got to see it. Not only was I entertained by the band but seeing my husband so happy was a thrill for me. I actually teared up at the end of the show because the time was over.

So we went home and talked about the show for a few hours. And I'm thankful that we have a DVD of them in concert so I can keep fresh the memories of last night's show.

Check out their music. Go see them in concert. Pray that they come back to Magdeburg next year.

My other good news is that I have a real live permanent residency visa. No more shall I have to fill out paperwork and cut through red tape in order to reside in Germany. I am even allowed to stay even if B dies (not that I would at this point). I can even work without having to beg the work bureau for a permit so should I get a wild hair to go down to the Berlitz school and teach English, I'm all set.

More happy things: On the way to the immigration office I saw a brand new (since May anyway) yarn store. While walking back to the streecar stop I went in and fell in love with the collection of yarns they had on display. Lots of cotton and ribbon yarns - summery stuff - and I assume that when summer is over they'll have their winter wools out. I was with my MIL at the time and didn't have loads of time to hang out there but I'll go back again and look at their stuff more fully. I wish I could knit better so I could take advantage of such gorgeous yarn.

Good, good things. I must be holding my mouth just right for so many good things to be happening.

6Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

Dix: I'm glad you and B had such a good time at the concert. And I'll be praying they come back to Madgeburg next year. I love reading when you post about B -- how much you care for him is in every word of your posts. That riff from Smoke on the Water is a classic. I could be asleep and recognize it.

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading this entry just made me smile. I'm so happy for you guys!

8:19 PM  
Blogger BarefootCajun said...

I have a big ol' grin on my face picturing you and B enjoying the concert. :-)

Love, love, love the wavy scarf and will probably use that pattern for a scarf for E.

OMG, was I supposed to call you Saturday???? If I was, I am so very sorry because I forgot. I promise to reschedule very, very soon.

8:24 PM  
Blogger Mahala said...

That's so cool that ya'll had such a wonderful time :)

You at the yarn place sounds like me when I spot a bead store.

12:02 AM  
Blogger Miz said...

What a great post. I am so glad you and B had such a nice time at the concert.

Happy knitting!

5:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this entry made me grin like a goshdarn idjit, i swear.

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home