http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Who you gonna call?

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Who you gonna call?

My phone just rang.

I suffer from the same malady that plagues a lot of people - the malady of getting the shit scared out of you if the phone rings after 11pm. My mind immediately jumps to "Ohdearlord. Someone has died!".

It was Mollie. And she knows me well enough to know that she's probably scared the wee out of me because the first thing she said was "Am I calling too late?". No! Of course we're still awake but you know that a ringing phone at this hour is like an electric shock.

And naturally it's okay that she called. It's not a problem at all. She was angry and upset about something and had to get it out right away or burst and who do you call when such a thing happens? Your best buddy. Doesn't matter where your best buddy lives or how many hours time difference there is between you, when you're upset that's the voice you want to hear.

Story told, empathy given, frustrations vented for the moment. In short, a telephone success.

Makes me feel loved to know I was trusted to be the understanding voice on the other end that she wanted to hear.

2Comments:

Blogger Mahala said...

When our phone rings at that hour it's usually because someone here in smalltown central heard a siren and knows we have the scanner on. God forbid something should happen that the whole town doesn't know about it lol.

5:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're a great friend, dix.

2:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home