http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Maybe it can be a giant dusting mitt

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Sunday, July 10, 2005

Maybe it can be a giant dusting mitt

After weeks of work (read: days of work that I spread over weeks) I finished the Zeeby's bag. It's pathetic! Really, for the most part it's not that bad but there are some pretty big flaws in the construction.

  1. I measured carefully - at least I thought it was carefully - and determined that I'd knit the sides slightly larger than the pattern called for. I also determined that both sides were, as best I could tell from measuring them both, identical in size. This meant that I had to knit the gusset's length to fit the length and width of both sides.
  2. I knit the gusset a good two inches too long. I'd figured that much out when I'd completed sewing on one side of the bag and had a flapping tab of gusset left over. However I was considering unbinding it and unraveling it down to the proper length and rebinding it off. This didn't happen because
  3. After sewing on the other side, I found out that one side was higher than the other. A good inch higher.

In short, this bag is ridiculous looking. I should probably take a picture but don't wish to create undue hysterical laughing at what I've created and I also don't want to embarrass the shit out of myself.

All I can figure that that I should in the future:

  1. Measure even more carefully than I am currently doing.
  2. Knit both sides before knitting the gusset. Skipping around simply isn't cutting it.
  3. Get lots and lots and lots of safety pins and pin together the entire bag before sewing instead of just pinning and sewing one side at a time.
  4. Be sure I'm not stretching the sides as I pin/sew them together. I think I stretched one side at least some.

Will I frog it? Probably not. It wasn't super great yarn and it was dirt cheap. Will I attempt the bag again? Sure. I'm not going to have taken all this effort and let it go to waste. It's an ugly ass attempt at a bag but it's also a learning experience.

In the meantime I've started knitting the Wavy scarf. Maybe I should try the bag again but I hate to plunge into knitting the same thing again right after completing a project plus the scarf has the added advantage of having me get used to a wavy/swirling rib before I launch into knitting Aibhlinn. I am not going to screw that up again after doing the bobbles for a third time.

I should really take a picture of this wad of yarn that I laughingly refer to as a bag, shouldn't I? At least I didn't bother to sew on the straps. I can keep the straps for the time I knit the bag again because I have more of the same yarn. Luckily, lots more.

10Comments:

Blogger meelo said...

for some reason i have a burning urge to sing "oh suzanna" when i come to your blog. i have no idea what you're talking about in this post because, in addition to being html illiterate, i'm also knitting-illiterate. but i love you all the same! maybe one day you and kirsti will teach me this stuff.

11:08 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Knitting is definitely more fun that I make is sound. Even if the project doesn't go well, I love the idea of creating something.

Kirsti or I could teach you to knit in nothing flat. She'd really be fabulous to teach you because she's a better knitter than me and she's braver about trying new stuff.

11:47 PM  
Blogger Kirsti said...

Well yay on finishing the bag anyway and on learning so much from it. The other thing you could try is blocking the sides so that they're both the same measurements before you put it together.

Hope you're enjoying Wavy :)

12:43 AM  
Blogger Dixie said...

I had the same idea about blocking it but I was using acrylic yarn and so I was out of luck as far as blocking goes.

But then again that's how I got away with it only costing me about 1€'s worth of yarn. :)

1:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that wavy scarf looks very cool! Here's a question from the knitting novice- does the wave come from the yarn, or from the technique?

6:29 PM  
Blogger Beege said...

OK. I've knit for years, and when I come and read your blog I never know what you mean by "frogging".

'Splain me, please? ;)

6:54 PM  
Blogger Marybeth said...

Even when things don't go so well with a project, you keep on knitting. Shoot...I'm a chicken butt to move on to the knit stitch 'cause I'm 'fraid I won't get it! You inspire me!

7:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im still excited that you finished it! And I bet it looks great- no matter what you say!
Mh

9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

molls is right. i'm sure it looks beautiful.
love you, dix.

9:50 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Moll, you and pkb are too kind. Believe me it's not the best bit of knitting I've ever done. Love y'all too.

Jen, the wave comes from the way you knit it. Knitting and purling in an alternate way makes ribs in your work. By altering the pattern of the knits and purls you make the ribs go in a wavy pattern. It's very easy. Once you can knit and purl, you can do this as long as you pay attention to the pattern and use a row counter.

Beege, frogging is knitter slang for completely unraveling a piece of work so you can use the yarn again. Frogs say ribbit and when you unravel your work you "rip it". Rip it, ribbit...get it? Glad I'm not responsible for the creation of that term!

Putting a piece aside to frog it later is called putting it in the "frog pond" and that's just where my Zeeby's bag is!

Marybeth - knit honey. Just knit. You can't cast on forever!! ;)

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home