http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: String of pearls

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

String of pearls

I've got my ear buds jammed in and Bixente the iPod is busy churning out Tuxedo Junction by the Glenn Miller Orchestra over and over. This song is so hot. Hot. H to the OT. Love how it starts up slow, gets all swingy and swaying with sharp bites and builds bar by bar to the climax. Sex in brass.

I still harbor the notion that I should have been born in 1922 instead of 1962. Yeah, there'd be that pesky Great Depression to get through but I secretly wish that I'd been in my 20s during the 1940s even if there was a world war going on for half of it. I was meant for those fashions (even the pared-down-for-the-war stuff), that hair and that music.

I was meant to be in a ballroom listening to the Glenn Miller Orchestra and dancing to Tuxedo Junction.

6Comments:

Blogger Miz said...

Oh man I love Big Band! Goodman, Miller, Count Basie and Tex Beneke, the greatest!

10:47 AM  
Blogger leon's life said...

Ah - Me I should have been born around in early 1950's so that I would have been around 18 in the late 1960's and have been there for all the Rock and Roll that I love. Velvet Under Ground ,Iggy and the Stooges, early Bowie....

Now let me go and put on my spandex out fir and platforms

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My man and I are heavily into the swing era. Generally we love anything pre-50s. I know there are a lot of clubs in larger cities, but not here sadly :(

Btw, great first article over at the collective blog! :D

12:01 PM  
Blogger Beege said...

My grandfather LOVED Glenn Miller. He died when I was nine, long before I ever knew his musical tastes. In high school, I discovered Glenn Miller and LOVED him.

My Dad heard me listening one night and came into my room and said, "You know, your grandpa loved to listen to Glenn Miller." It was just an off-hand comment, but for me it was a link to a man I can barely remember. Nobody else in my family likes Glenn Miller...so I must get it from Grandpa.

8:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm also a Big Band and Swing fan! Did you ever see the Glenn Miller Story with Jimmy Stewart and June Alison? Loved that! Especially where he came up with Pennsylvania-6 5000.

I love to watch swing dancing, too. One of these days I just may learn... it looks so jubilant, doesn't it?

5:32 AM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Katy, I love that movie. I saw it as a little kid and that's when I fell in love with his music.

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home