http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: (Im)possible Dream

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Sunday, April 09, 2006

(Im)possible Dream

This afternoon just after lunch B and I called his cousin, Wayne, in Australia. Wayne's the one who sent us our cheesy Austrailian souvenir package and we wanted to let him know we got it and thank him for sending it.

By the way, let me stop here for a moment and say that I don't quite understand a world where I can call Australia for less money per minute than I spend to call my MIL who lives so close to me I can actually see her apartment building from my balcony.

Anyway, my suspicions were correct. This package of goodies wasn't just to bring us cheer and give us a giggle but instead was a blatant bribe. Wayne and his wife, Robyn, were shopping, saw the souvenir shop and they got the idea that if they sent us an enticement - bait, if you will - then we'd come visit them.

They have no shame. Using a boxing kangaroo pen in an attempt to get us to board a plane and fly to the other end of the planet. No shame whatsoever.

I have to say though, it worked. Sort of, anyway. The desire to go to Australia is there. B went there with his parents in 1989 for nearly three months and they loved it. Had the time of their lives. They still talk about visiting Australia. The package of souvenirs only served to remind them of how much they loved Australia and to get them to retell their stories.

No, it's not lack of desire that keeps us from hopping on a plane. It's not even what to do with B once we're in Australia because they've done it before, I'd have way more help with B than is available to me now and these people don't give up. They believe nothing is impossible without trying first. No, what holds us back is the flight itself. Airplanes aren't especially accomodating to the handicapped and the more profound your injury is and the greater your physical limitations are, the more difficult it is. B doesn't take to flying very well - it's very hard on him physically. The last time he flew was in 1999 when we flew back from our visit to Mississippi and he ended up with a raging bladder infection from the catheter we used on him. He was horribly sick for weeks.

Still, the idea of going to Australia is something we have talked about ever since I moved here. Wayne, who honestly should be a motivational speaker, is convinced that what we need is just good planning. Other handicapped people travel - we just have to research how a person with the degree of disability B has can make this trip.

Can we do this? Can we really pull off getting B to Australia? Can we somehow work things out so that this trip doesn't kill him? It would be so worth it because I want to see Australia. I want to see all the things the cousins would show us. We'd be camping and sightseeing and shopping and touring and have every day filled with something to do. I could have a Foster's in a non touristy pub. I'd pick up saying "tea" instead of "supper". I'd get to find out how truly scary Vegemite tastes. I'd get to spend Christmas in capri pants and a cotton blouse, grilling in the back yard and watching the Christmas parade with its Santa in shorts. I'd get to groove with cool Australian people - the coolest being B's cousins who truly must be the friendliest people on earth.

So we'll look into it and see if we can make this dream a reality. Who knows? Maybe we'll be spending next Christmas in Adelaide. And if all fails maybe the package of German goodies I send will entice them to come visit us.

11Comments:

Blogger christina said...

A big YES! from me. I think you could do it if you first gather all the information and opinions from people who've done it before you. I wonder if some airlines are more accomodating than others? I don't know.

But wouldn't it be a wonderful experience for you and B to go there together? Wow.

11:35 PM  
Blogger Spinningsue said...

Oh I hope you are able to go! Of course, I will be extrememly jealous what with you visiting my home town and all. Mind you, I do know some good shopping places...

Any chance of me stowing away in your luggage? :-)

11:46 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Christina - maybe the best thing to do is to just do it. He's done it before and that was back when he still lived in East Germany and the only airline he could take was some scary Yugoslavian thing. He had to fly to Singapore, then to Melbourne and then take a train to Adelaide. It was really horrible on him but he was younger. Maybe now better airlines and being able to fly directly from Singapore to Adelaide would help make up for his lack of youth.

Sue, I'd love to take you along with us! You know I'm going to want sightseeing and shopping tips from you!

12:21 AM  
Blogger JT said...

OMG, how wonderful that would be if you could go. I still have that picture you sent me years ago of B on his visit in 1989, and he looked so happy.

I certainly hope that it works out for you... and if not, like you said, get Wayne to visit you in Magdeburg =)

1:25 AM  
Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

There's nothing like taking the plunge and just doing it! You have the time to plan and get all your ducks in a row. I'm behind you 100%!

1:27 AM  
Blogger sari said...

I think tat it would really be amazing if you could do it. Best wishes to make this trip!!

5:57 AM  
Blogger sari said...

tat??

eek!

5:57 AM  
Blogger Mimey said...

Possible, of course. Very little is impossible. Although I recognise there are lines that cannot be crossed. I hope you get it sorted how you both want it.

I'd consider the consequences of deciding it would be too difficult to do. I just imagine that'd make me feel a little claustrophobic. What's the point of having a life unless you're living it. (Says she who spent two days on the sofa, they were fun days, it's what I wanted, I'm not wasting my life!)

And this is the twentyfirst century, surely there is a Reiseburo that can fulfil all your desires.

Can you tell I've been learning German this morning? Free book in the Sunday newspaper: See I am alive! I know one new word, yay me.

9:39 AM  
Blogger The DP said...

Forgive me for sounding like a redneck, but I believe anything is possible with drugs. I get raging bladder infections from long trips too, and this is sans catheter.
I personally would get the Cipro and go (I would probably add some sleeping pills for me but that is the redneck coming out) My mother has been there twice.
Ms Mac (www.ms-mac.blogspot.com) lived in Australia for years with her Australian husband and she might have some ideas on airlines and itineraries.

6:40 PM  
Blogger BarefootCajun said...

How cool is that? I think you guys should do everything you can to put a trip together. It would be so much fun and Lottie would love a visit Down Under as well, I'm sure.

9:20 PM  
Blogger Beege said...

Oh, honey! You HAVE to. You have to figure out a way to make it work. You and B deserve this, and it sounds like the cousins really want you to come--I mean, come on! Sending YOU a boxing kangaroo pen?! They're going right for your weakest point! ;)

5:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home