http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Chow

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Chow

As much as enjoy getting B outside when the weather is nice, it's exhausting. I have no idea why shopping with him takes more out of me than shopping along but it does.

Oh yeah. I forgot the part about picking up a 160 pound man to get him in and out of his wheelchair.

Know the best part about living in the same place where you do your shopping? You get to know your local merchants so much better. You walk in and get greeted like a rock star. And if it happens to be the local Asian carry-out they'll give you an extra order of spring rolls for free.

I doubt I have much creativity left in me today so let's get all cheap and meme. A food one swiped from Jemima. Even her URL goes great with a club sandwich.

How do you like your eggs?
In a way that disguises the taste of the yolk. Enough Hellmann's and salt on a hard boiled egg sandwich usually does the trick.

How do you take your coffee/tea?
Black tea: With artificial sweetner and evaporated milk. Green tea: Just a little sweetner. Maybe a little lemon. White tea: Plain. Coffee is taken only under duress.

Favorite breakfast foods:
Pancakes. Grits. Biscuits. Bacon. All those things I save to eat until I get back to the US.

Peanut butter:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


When in a peanut butter, banana and mayonnaise sandwich it's divine.

What kind of dressing on your salad?
I'm not much of a salad person - I'd rather just eat the individual vegetables in their natural, nekkid state. Chilled, please. However if I'm in a salad situation I'll eat ranch or yogurt dressing.

Coke or Pepsi?
Never Pepsi.

You're feeling lazy. What do you make? Jam on toast?
A lazy dinner for me would be a couple tuna steaks sprinkled with lemon juice and a good dousing of Tony's creole seasoning tossed into a pan until they're just done. A little pasta on the side tossed with olive oil, sauteed bell peppers and grated parmesan with some sliced tomatoes and cucumbers on the side.

You're feeling really lazy? What kind of pizza do you order?
The only sort of pizza I eat in Germany are frozen ones.

You feel like cooking. What do you make?
Beef stew. Goulash - the kind you find in Hungary, not that ground beef and tomatoes over macaroni stuff people in the US call goulash. Roasted chicken. Geschnetzeltes. Chicken and dumplings. Pie. My cousin Wanda's chocolate pie. Long drawn out fights, bad moods and long held grudges have occured because of that heavenly pie. I'd cut you over that pie.

Do any foods bring back good memories?
My cousin Wanda's chocolate pie. Eating barbecue in Memphis. Angel biscuits. Fried catfish and hushpuppies. My mother's fried chicken. Peanut Buster Parfaits from Dairy Queen.

Do any foods bring back bad memories?
Beef rouladen. It happened to be the last thing I ate just before I had a massive gallbladder attack.

Do any foods remind you of someone?
Mexican food reminds me of my dear friend Susan. Peanut Buster Parfaits remind me of Lisa:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


And of course there's that chocolate pie.

Is there a food you refuse to eat?
Hominy. Yellow squash. Eggplant. Capers.

What was your favorite food as a child?
Steak. Baked potatoes. Steamed spinach. Tomatoes. Okra.

Is there a food you hated as a child but now love?
Broccoli. Cauliflower.

Is there a food you loved as a child but now hate?
When I was a kid it was an enormous treat to get stuff like Spaghetti-Os or Chef Boy-ar-dee Beefaroni. I loved it. I didn't eat it for many years and not terribly long after moving to Germany I saw Chef Boy-ar-dee spaghetti and meatballs on one of those American foods websites and on a whim and flushed with the glow of nostalga I ordered a can.

That was some vile, vile shit.

Favorite fruit and vegetable:
Peaches, natch. Watermelon. Tomatoes. Broccoli. Spinach. Okra.

Favorite junk food:
Nachos. Popcorn. And I love those truly awful Hostess Sno-Ball things.

Favorite between meal snack:
Yogurt.

Do you have any weird food habits?
I'm one of those certain-foods-cannot-touch-other-foods people that annoys everyone else. I also tend to eat things in order of preference with my favorite item going last or at the very least being the last bite of the meal.

You're on a diet. What food(s) do you fill up on?
I would eat what I normally do and cut out the junky stuff.

You're off your diet. Now what would you like?
Everything from Sonic that I could cram into my mouth before I burst.

How spicy do you order Indian/Thai?
I can be a bit of a weenie when it comes to spicy food. Spicy enough for me to feel it but weenie enough for it to stop burning when I stop eating.

Can I get you a drink?
Water. No carbonation. Fizzy water tastes salty to me.

May I get you a drink?
Or an iced tea would be nice. Lemon, please.

Red wine or white?
Red makes prettier popsicles.

We only have beer.
Then make it an Erdinger.

Favorite dessert:
Red velvet cake. Peach cobbler. And that damn chocolate pie that shall tempt me to the end of my days.

The perfect nightcap?
White tea.

Admit it. You cringed when you saw mention of the peanut butter, banana and mayonnaise sandwich.

13Comments:

Blogger sari said...

When's the next Peach Pilgrammage?

ps check your email, in case you haven't been back to my blog.

1:58 AM  
Blogger Mahala said...

I love peanut butter and banana sandwiches, my dad used to eat banana and mayo, but this is the first time I've ever heard of all three together.

3:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

our shoulders are touchinnnnngggg...i miss you...

5:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Everything from Sonic that I could cram into my mouth before I burst."

YEAH, Baby!!! Sonic size chili cheese tots with jalapenos. Super Sonic breakfast burrito. Unforunately for my waistline, Sonic is on the way to EVERYwhere for me.

5:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BOoo I miss going to Sonic in the heat of summer trying to create the weirdest drink flavours to make the order taker go "You want what with that?????"

Ahhhh cherry pineapple dr pepper.

or...blue ocean water.

Or there bacon grilled chicken breast sandwiches *Droooooool*

OOOR SNOCONES!!!! wedding cake flavour.

ohgawd :( :( lolol

8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i don't appreciate the sudden snark with american goulash. :)

9:47 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

I knew that would get you, Ash! Heh!

I say we on this side of the Atlantic make a trip to the US. Do a tour of Sonics.

We could film it all. Make it a documentary.

Ooo...Pez. How did I ever forget Pez?

11:36 PM  
Blogger sari said...

Well, I was going to try to make the next Peach Pilgrammage, but if you're doing a Sonic tour, there's one about a mile from my house, I'll meet you there.

11:39 PM  
Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

Actually, I didn't cringe over the peanut butter and banana sandwich--just the mayo part. Hmm. Have never tried it with the mayo but I sure do like the other two together! :)

3:34 AM  
Blogger christina said...

Great meme! The sandwich sounds fab, actually. I've never had one with mayo either but I can just imagine that banana/mayo taste going on because I also like bananas dressed in an oil and vinegar dressing.

3:34 PM  
Blogger Mimey said...

I cringe every time you mention that 'sandwich'. It's not normal.

Erdinger: yay. No eggplant: how???

Well memed ;-)

10:27 PM  
Blogger The DP said...

yum this is so interesting...i think i will gank this meme....yum yum yum
(another white tea fan)

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I adore that photo!

I'll admit, I used to cringe at your PBB&M, but something occured to me: I love peanut butter with butter, and butter's not that different than mayo. So okay, not as gross as I thought.

I'm stealing this meme.

9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home