http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Do It Yourself

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Do It Yourself

B is searching now in ernest for a new computer. We could get mine fixed, of course, but we were planning on him getting a new one anyway within the next few months so mine acting like an ass has only speeded up the process by a few weeks.

Yesterday and most of today have been spent knitting, mostly while lounging on my balcony and considering how much longer I'll wait until I pull up those dead ass geraniums and plant some pansies. When technology gives me its middle finger, I turn to the joy in things handmade.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Isn't that pretty? And this yarn is some sweet stuff to knit with - I wish I had a dozen hanks of this dreamy yarn. Soft and easy on my hands. My hands that don't let me down like this cranky computer is bound to do.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Look at those colors! I love them! I call these my Harry Potter socks because they're Gryffindor colors.

Can't get a computer to make anything this groovy.

8Comments:

Blogger Marshamlow said...

I love the Gryffindor colors! Cranky computers suck.

11:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe I just dyed and sold a gryffindor scarf kit! Considering there's gonna be the movie next year I think a lot of people are still in the HP spirit!

gorgeous socks, as usual :D

11:26 AM  
Blogger sari said...

I always love anything Harry Potter, so these are wonderful!!

8:24 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

The more I knit these socks the less I want to wear them. They're too good for my feet.

Unless I'm watching a Harry Potter movie or re-reading a HP book.

I've been thinking of making a HP scarf myself, Belinda.

10:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am diggin' your socks, dix. :)

How long did you make your ribbed section at the top? And how did you determine to make it that length? I'm pondering the state of my first pair of socks still. (If I'd quit getting distracted by other projects, maybe I'd actually get somewhere on them).

12:02 AM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Kara - just make a 2x2 rib...or 1x1 if you want. I normally knit on 5 dpns so depending on how many I cast on, I divide my stitches on either 3 or 4 needles so the ribbing is even on each needle and I don't start a needle with purling. You can make your cuffs as long as you please but I do mine for 2 inches. You can rib the whole dang leg if you want.

I'd suggest you check out "Knitting Rules!" by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee because she explains socks and all sorts of other knitting basics very well. She's the one who got me over my sock phobia hump.

12:21 AM  
Blogger Dixie said...

I need to explain that ribbed cuff thing better. Depending on my number of cast on stitches I may do the cuff on three needles but then when I switch to the leg and am just doing stockinette I divide the stitches again onto four needles.

12:22 AM  
Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

Dixie, you're a genious! That's all there is to it. And WEAR THEM. Nothing is too good for your feet, especially Gryffindor socks. We do need to get in the mood for the new book. In fact, I was just thinking about that the other day. It will be the bittersweet book--we can hardly wait for all the secrets but we also know it'll be "the end." Even JK Rowling herself is feeling it :(

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home