http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: You Should Have Seen My Husband Smile

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

You Should Have Seen My Husband Smile

...when I told him about my latest knit-along/join-up/stunt/challenge. It's one that's designed to save money and get a mess into order.

Here's the point where those whose eyes glaze over and drool escapes from the corner of their mouths whenever I mention knitting interest in knitting doesn't match my own are excused from further reading. Even you, Mr. Fab, although I know you consider reading my knitting posts a sweet, sweet excercise in masochism.

Sue's blog - Sue the spinner, weaver and prolific sock knitter - turned me on to this challenge thrown down by Wendy - Knit From Your Stash 2007. The basic premise is simple enough - in 2007 don't buy yarn and knit what you've got already in your stash.

Naturally there are guidelines. You can't have willy-nilly stash knitting you know. Here are the guidelines proposed by Wendy:

1. The Knit-From-Your-Stash-a-Thon will start January 1, 2007 and run through September 30, 2007 - a period of nine months.

2. We will not buy any yarn during that period with the following exceptions:

2.a. Sock yarn does not count. What? Do you think we are made of stone?.

2.b. If someone asks for a specific knitted gift that we really and truly do not have the yarn for we may buy yarn to knit that gift.

2.c. If we are knitting something and run out of yarn we may purchase enough to complete the project.

2.d. We each get one "Get Out of Jail Free" card - we are each allowed to fall off the wagon one time.

3. We are allowed to gifts of yarn.

4. Spinning fiber of any sort is exempt.


I know what you're thinking. You're thinking that it's too easy for me because 90% of my knitting is socks. "What kind of challenge is that?!", you cry!

That's why Wendy is encouraging us to change the guidelines to fit our personal needs. To that end, here are the guidelines I will be following:

1. The Knit-From-Your-Stash-a-Thon will start January 1, 2007 and run through December 31, 2007 - a period of twelve months. I'm going to make mine go longer due to the exceptions I'll be making for myself. Plus my husband is going to ping me in the head if I don't stop buying yarn.

2. I will not buy any yarn during that period with the following exceptions:

2.a. Sock yarn counts 3/4. I am not allowed any additions to my sock yarn stash until 75% of my current stash is gone. Also I must have used up non-sock yarn stash equal to one completed project before being allowed to buy more sock yarn.

2.b. If someone asks for a specific knitted gift that I really and truly do not have the yarn for I may buy yarn to knit that gift.

2.c. If I am knitting something and run out of yarn I may purchase enough to complete the project.

2.d. I get one "Get Out of Jail Free" card - I am allowed to fall off the wagon one time.

3. I am allowed to gifts of yarn.

4. I am exempted from stash-only knitting any time my friend, Laura, is visiting me from the U.S. but my yarn purchases cannot exceed yarn for more than one project or two pairs of socks (I'm telling you people, Laura is like a sock yarn pusher!). The "Get Out of Jail Free" card cannot be used in conjunction with a visit from Laura but if I have already knitted 75% of my sock yarn stash, I may freely buy all sock yarn I want.


Seriously, B was practically giddy when I told him that I would be knitting up my stash. And it shouldn't be too hard for me to stick to this considering I have sock yarn in my stash already for about 20 pairs.

Plus you just know I'm going to go buy more sock yarn before the end of the year.

4Comments:

Blogger ninjapoodles said...

pssssssst: When you need a "gift of yarn," just holler. I will totally hook you up.

;-)

1:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really should make a list like that for beads=:)

2:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah good, we can help each other to be strong! Its really hard not to got on a ginormous spending spree before the end of the year!

Good luck with your challenge (I know I'll need it for mine!)

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't get the computer to allow me to leave a comment yesterday, so here is hoping.

I am looking forward to all the creative ways you find to use up the yarn! Pot holders? Tissue box covers? toilet paper cosies? barbie doll blankets? he he.

10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home