http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Friday Shuffle - Pile o' Tissues Edition

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Friday, April 06, 2007

Friday Shuffle - Pile o' Tissues Edition

It's days like today when I get a taste of what it must be like for a mother with a lot on her plate. I do know what it's like to always be responsible for someone's welfare and never really getting away from that responsibility - I'm the sole caregiver to my quadriplegic husband - but I think I get off easier than being the mother of a baby or toddler. Sure, I have to do almost everything for my husband and he's not going to outgrow quadriplegia so he's never going to become independent from me but unlike the mother of little ones, my husband can tell me what he wants, always cooperates with me, doesn't have to be forced to eat his green beans or take a nap and has never subjected me to watching the Teletubbies.

But days like today give me an idea of what it's like to be overly tired, sick, and have very little go right. Last night B had a very upset stomach and dealing with that kept me up until well after 4am. He woke me up a little after 8am with his stomach hurting him again and by the time I got him settled back down the girl living above us started practicing her piano. Getting up for the stomach thing and being awakened by the piano went on until noon when I finally dragged my carcass out of bed. I managed to get B to have some toast and tea and about that time the massive sneezing attacks started up with me along with weepy eyes and a headache that goes down to my neck. Even later when I tried to nap it was thwarted by my head and neck hurting and my endlessly dripping nose.

Right now my head feels like an overly inflated balloon, my eyes are burning, my nose is stuffed and itchy to the point where I wish I could shove my hands inside and scratch out whatever is making it itch.

And the tissues. I am drowning in a sea of tissues. I build up a pile on the sofa table and then when I can summon the energy to get up I take them all to the trash. The pile of tissues is rivaling the pile of dirty clothes I've got stashed away.

How do you moms do it? How to you manage to take care of sick kids when you're sick yourself? How do you keep going when you're exhausted? I can at least negotiate with my husband. I have a bare minimum I need to do for him and if I don't go beyond that for a day or two it's okay. I don't have to worry about him having a screaming fit or running around like a maniac. I have always said that I think moms of little ones have it harder than me and today I'm fully sticking to that opinion.

Bixente, the iPod has it easy. All he's got to do it be turned on shuffle for me. Let's go.
  1. Grace Kelly - Mika
  2. Don't Be Square (Be There) - Adam & The Ants
  3. Meds - Placebo
  4. I Started A Joke - Bee Gees
  5. Walking On Broken Glass - Annie Lennox
  6. Again - Lenny Kravitz
  7. Papa Loved Mama - Garth Brooks
  8. Lay Down (Candles In The Rain) - Melanie
  9. Sundown - Gordon Lightfoot
  10. Wrong 'Em Boyo - The Clash
Now my ears are popping. Bixente the iPod claims innocence.

Labels:

14Comments:

Blogger sari said...

You know, I actually think I have it easier than you. If it ever gets to that point for me, I can call my husband and say "I just can't do it, you need to be here" and he comes home from work.

You don't have that luxury.

I hope you and B. are both feeling better.

11:41 PM  
Blogger Princess Cat's Pajamas said...

Uh oh... a tissue pile that rivals the clothes pile is a scary thing, indeed!

I hope y'all both feel better soon!

12:38 AM  
Blogger Tiffany said...

I'm sorry you are both sick.

And it isn't easy being a mom, but like Sari said, some of us are lucky to have a husband come and help.

Get well soon B and Dix

1:56 AM  
Blogger sari said...

I'm sending you an email, I know you don't check them much so I'm telling you to check!

Let me know if you don't get it so I know if I sent it to the right place or not.

2:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heeeeey Kim <3 <3

I hope you both get to feeling better. Sending you healing thoughts from across Germany and many hugs

8:33 AM  
Blogger Mimey said...

You know full well that any kind of carer does it and survives it because it has to be done and it has to be survived!

Sorry to hear about the sickness. Hope you're all better quickly and that Piano Girl at least plays something you like and does it well!

11:24 AM  
Blogger The Lone Beader® said...

I hope you feel betta soon... And, I laughed when I read Adam Ant. LOL.

11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You poor sweetheart, that's terrible. I hope you're feeling better now and have rested, both of you. I can't imagine what caused your reaction, whether it was a cold or stress, but I've heard the pollen this year is very high.

As for the babes, what I usually do is snuggle them up with me wherever I am. Helps immensely they're so portable and small. If they've rested and well and I not, I get them plenty to do and watch, plump myself down in a big puddle somewhere in their immediate vicinity and vegetate with one eye closed and the other eye alert. It's not much fun but at least I'm there if the blood starts flowing.

As for responsibilities out of the house on days like that, they're canceled, or suffered through, usually with my head down, looking very pitiful and waiting for death, which doesn't earn me much respect but hey, what can ya do.

9:01 AM  
Blogger Marshamlow said...

I hope you and B are both feeling better by now. I don't think that motherhood is the be all end all exclusive club of hard work. Plently of people have to stay up all night and keep on keeping on even when they are dead tired and sick. I have found that my kids tend to have the same life rythmn as I do. They are active and energetic during the same times of the day as me. I have spent sleepless nights with sick ones, but I have also stayed up all night worried about money or watching tv, or reading blogs.

Again I hope you are both feeling better now or soon.

6:27 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

I hope you guys are feeling better by now. Papa Loves Mama is one of my favorite Garth Brooks' songs. And Melanie! You have Melanie on your shuffle. I got so teased about liking her.

9:21 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

I'm much, much better now. Took one cold tablet on Saturday and a couple hours later I was fine again. I call myself cured today.

Oh now...don't be laughing at Adam Ant. Adam is post punk perfection. I digs me some Melanie too. I hear her and I'm seven years old again.

10:12 PM  
Blogger jafabrit said...

Ah what a horrid night and day :( Hope you feel better soon.

3:07 AM  
Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

It sounds like you're better by now, Dixie, but I'm so sorry you had to put up with that. Being sick is no fun under any circumstances. Give yourself and B a hug from me!

3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you're feeling better, and I hope B. is, too. Being responsible for anyone else's well-being is tough. Clara Jane and I were both simultaneously sick recently, and it's so frustrating. But it's all temporary. Every sickness or bad time will pass. And you can get through anything, as long as there's an end in sight, somewhere.

4:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home