http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Quadruple Digits

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Quadruple Digits

It's a party round here today. Today marks my 1000th blog post and we're gonna celebrate in style. As you may expect it's not a celebration that would perhaps resemble a Roman feast or a masked ball at Versailles but there are cupcakes and Cheetoes and some cold duck.

Oh come on. It's virtual cold duck. In your mind you can make it taste like something other than the vile swill you used to sneak drink in high school.

When I started blogging I couldn't have predicted that I would ever reach 1000 posts or guess how long it would take me to get there. As it turns out I did reach the magic number and it took me about 3 1/2 years to do it. I don't know if you can call it reaching a goal if you never set one in the first place but I'll take it.

In that time you've been with me through all sorts of events and experiences. Two trips to America. Fights with my neighbors and the subsequent getting-the-hell-out-of-that-apartment in order to save my sanity and my husband's health. I confessed to you that I got stuck in my bathtub. I told you about my first semester of college. I admitted to you that I nearly knocked myself out at work with a plastic coat hanger. You've read about visits from my family, city festivals, and my little jaunts around the city. You've read me vent my frustrations at being the caregiver for my husband, my whines about the crappy weather - be it too hot or too cold or too rainy...it's always too something - my rants over my husband's overbearing aunt and general frustration at the ever astonishing German bureaucracy. You've read about how I adore Christmas and my city's Christmas market and how much I miss my family in America during the holidays. In a thousand posts you've read about me taking up knitting again, shared with me my little projects, have endured lots of pictures of hand knit socks and kindly complimented them all. I've let you peek each Friday into my music library. And in a thousand posts you've read about my life with my husband, how I adore him, how we're bonded for life and how I fell in love with him when I first saw a photo of him from the 70s and he looked just like a rock star.

Photobucket


In 1000 posts I've been able to make some wonderful friends from around the world and I've been able to share in their lives as well. That may be the best part of all from 1000 posts. For that I thank you - for your encouragement, your kindness and caring and for giving me reason to keep writing.

Now here's your chance to talk back. Leave me a comment, especially if you've never done so before. I love a little de-lurking. And ask me a question. Today is the day I answer all questions so make it a good one!

Labels: ,

30Comments:

Blogger Mahala said...

I'm not sure how far into your 1000 posts you were when I discovered you, but I've been reading them for a good while. Congrats girlie :)

11:17 PM  
Blogger Brooklyn Belle said...

Thank you for sharing your life with us. Give B a hug from your gal pal in Brooklyn...

2:02 AM  
Blogger TitanKT said...

I've been a regular reader of yours long enough that I really don't have a question, but I sure do want to say congrats on the 1,000 post milestone, shout out some encouragement for the next 1,000 and just give you an overall big THANKS and internet HUGS. And to B, too. And your family.

Best!
Katy

2:16 AM  
Blogger sari said...

Congrats!

I love reading your blog, and you were one of the reasons I started one, so thanks!!

Q: What is the name of your next sock monkey?

Love,

Sari

PS Look! It's Wolfie Van Burkhardt!

2:33 AM  
Blogger sari said...

(he looks like he should be in Van Halen)

2:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Dixie.. I have been reading for a couple of years now.. you are part of my daily routine and I can't imagine life without you! Thanks
Kay (New Zealand)

9:57 AM  
Blogger Nurhanne said...

Hi :-) - and congrats!

12:32 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

Wonderful Dixie and handsome hubby! That's quite a bit of writing. Your blog is on top of my daily list.

Where in the world is that traveling sock monkey? Did he ever return home?

5:06 PM  
Blogger christina said...

Wow, 1000 posts - that's awesome. And I've enjoyed every one of them (and kept meaning to comment on many of them but then forgot - damn you, Bloglines!) Sure glad I found your blog when I did and actually got to meet you in person. :-)

That's such a great picture of B. We all need hair like that.

5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your 1000th post!

6:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there.Congrats.I discovered your blog a while ago and love it because it gives such a funny and lively picture of living in Germany.

I am sorry but i might have missed the part about how you met your husband and how long did it take for you to learn the language?

9:27 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Mahala - You're one of my most faithful readers - one of the first to find my blog, read it and come back for more. I appreciate it so much!

Laura DiBella - Hugs is delivered. Love you.

Katy - One of my other longtime faithful readers. Hugs back to you, sweetie. I am so grateful that you come here and keep up with my life.

Sari - Thanks. I'm glad I could be a little bit of inspiration to you.

I'm not sure what I'll name my next sock monkey - I have to "get to know" them first. My last one, given to me by my sister, is name Buddy.

Kay - You de-lurked! Yay! Thanks for coming by and reading here - I'm glad you've enjoyed it. Wow! A reader from the other side of the planet. I'm really thrilled about this!

nurhanne - Hi back and thank you for the congratulations. Hope you come back for more visits here.

Molly - I'm so glad you're one of my readers! As for my sock monkey, Lottie is still in Carolina but soon she'll be going to Virginia to see Darling Mollie.

Christina - One of my first ex-pat readers! Blogging made us friends and I'm grateful for that. And I sure wish you'd get on a train soon and come see me!

Isn't that picture of B something else? I just love it.

Renate - Thank you! I appreciate you coming here and reading and giving me encouragement to write more.

umarah - I'm so glad you peeked out to say hello. I hope you will keep enjoying what I write.

As for learning German, it's still a work in progress. I started learning it 10 1/2 years ago when I moved here and I still learn more. Not that you could tell it from my grammar sometimes... Heh!

As for how I met my husband, I'd give you a link to the post about it but I can never make links in comments. Check in my archives for January, 2006 - it's the January 31, 2006 entry.

10:22 PM  
Blogger Snooker said...

Congratulations on your 1000th!
That is a LOT of writing!
Thank you for sharing your life with us.

10:40 PM  
Blogger sari said...

You know, I think the sock monkey needs to make a trip to good ol' AZ...!

10:48 PM  
Blogger June Cleaver's Revenge said...

Delurking to say congrats on 1000 posts! I love the pic of B. Sooo Peter Frampton!

11:59 PM  
Blogger Clover said...

Congratulations Dix! I'm impressed. I just read your bathtub post - ha! I had an eerily similar experience when I was pg. Stupid slippy narrow bathtubs...

Got any recent pix of you and B to share?

12:17 AM  
Blogger G in Berlin said...

Congratulations! I always enjoy your posts.

12:21 AM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Snooker - Good to see you! Wouldn't it be great to have a nickel for every word I've written here?

Sari - I know three boys in Arizona who'd love a little time with Lottie.

June - I'd love to see you write 1000 too! B can't understand why I show people that picture of him but I love it. I wish I'd known him back then.

Clover - Someone who can relate to the desperation that being stuck in the bathtub brings! I don't have any more recent photos of us but B's birthday is in a week so maybe I'll get one of us then.

G - Thank you - you're very kind! I'm glad you've been enjoying my writing! :)

12:36 AM  
Blogger Jaxie Fantastic said...

Congrats Dixie!!! So are you going to set the goal for 2000? :)

2:07 AM  
Blogger Sally said...

Congratulations my lovely peach! I don't comment these days but I do read. And send you and B all my love. You're a star! Here's to the next 1000

9:11 AM  
Blogger Princess Cat's Pajamas said...

Happy 1,000th post! :)

11:52 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Congrats on your posts. I love checking out the friday music and going(to myself of course) cool song or WTF is she thinking :)
I also enjoying checking out the socks!

4:01 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Jaxie - Thanks, sweets. I don't think I'll set a goal for 2000 posts. I didn't set one for 1000 so maybe changing it would be bad luck.

Sal - Sending love back to you and R and your two sassy and adorable boys.

Kitty - Thank you! I'll be looking forward to your 1000th!

Heather - Thank you too. And I hope my WTF songs give you a laugh. Look for new sock pictures in a week or so.

5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAY! Congrats on your 1000th blog post!

I'm so so glad you are my friend.

5:58 AM  
Blogger Hilda said...

YAY Dixie! 1000 posts! I too was inspired to start my Blog because of yours - thanks and congratulations!

7:07 AM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Sugar Fluff - Thanks, sweetie. Your friendship means so much to me!

Hilda - I'm glad I could be your inspiration! Thanks!

11:05 PM  
Blogger Nurhanne said...

I will - been subscribed to your feed for a while :-)

3:30 AM  
Blogger UmmFarouq said...

Many congratulations! You have made me laugh and cry, sometimes crying from laughter. You are a REAL writer, straight from the heart.

B looks like Sean Cassidy. :)

Much love to you from the Middle East! (I know I've started a following here of your blog!)

Here's to 1,000 more posts.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

Congratulations, Dix! I love reading your blog and eperiencing your life along with you. You rock!

2:38 PM  
Blogger Schnitzel_Republic said...

Congrat's! The second thousand will just as easily.

8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home