http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Friday Shuffle - Putting Things Off Edition

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Friday, August 01, 2008

Friday Shuffle - Putting Things Off Edition

The knitting thing - or lack of knitting thing, actually - has become out of control. In August I have to knit a scarf during the time the summer Olympics is in session plus a pair of socks and finish a pair of footies for Hilda.

This shouldn't be a problem - I'm fairly sure I can knit an entire five foot long scarf in 17 days if I stick to it. I get easily bored with scarf knitting and the thought of 50%wool/50% alpaca yarn laying on my legs in August does wig me out a bit but on the upside, it's a pattern that lends itself to knitting while watching TV. I call it "zen knitting". B calls it "I can talk with her while she's knitting without worrying that I'll cause her to screw up some tricky lace stuff which will in turn cause her to give me the laser death stare knitting".

And that still leaves me with over two weeks to knit a pair of socks. I can definitely knit a pair of socks in two weeks. So there's no problem, right?

Sure. No problem. Except it's nearly midnight on August 1st and I haven't knit a lick. I haven't picked what sock pattern I want to knit. Even picked what yarn I want to use which means it's not been wound into even center-pull balls.

So when I'm down to the wire and I'm in the midst of panic knitting, remind me of how I tarried and wasted my time and didn't get promptly started on my projects when I should have. Of course it'll only roll off my back. I've had plenty of experience in this arena. I'm fairly certain that every term paper and essay I ever wrote was started in a shit hemorrhage panic with a deadline looming over me like an August thunderstorm.

Let's waste some more time. Let's shuffle.
  1. Glorious Day - Weezer
  2. Wouldn't It Be Nice - The Beach Boys
  3. 11:11 - Rufus Wainwright
  4. Cartoon Music For Superheroes - Albert Hammond, Jr.
  5. Brainstorm - Arctic Monkeys
  6. Plasticine - Placebo
  7. Anywhere On Earth You Are - Alan Jackson
  8. Here And Now - Great Big Sea
  9. Run For Your Life - The Beatles
  10. The Happening - The Supremes

Labels: ,

5Comments:

Blogger Significant Snail said...

Oh yeah, nothing like a deadline to bring out the best in a person! Some of us just need that pressure..LOL! Hey, at least you can knit. I tought myself in college for a project. The most accomplished knitting I ever did was a pair of leg warmers and a toilet paper roll cover!

1:26 AM  
Blogger Jaxie Fantastic said...

"shit hemorrhage panic"... No idea why, but that line cracked me up! I'm the same way though... I've always thrived under pressure!

4:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's why I can't bring myself to start--and not finish--yet another crafting project like knitting or crocheting. I really want to, but I fear that-- like scrapbooking-- I'll be left with crap all over my house and no incentive to do anything with it.

6:08 AM  
Blogger Princess Cat's Pajamas said...

Sounds like you've caught my case of procrastinitis. I've known all summer that I needed to have my thesis finished by mid-August, but I spent my time applying for jobs and studying for employment exams instead. It wasn't 'til I got down to I-have-to-write-50-pages-in-3-weeks that I got in gear... now I'm down to needing to write 22 pages in 10 days. Doable, but not fun! ;)

5:44 AM  
Blogger sari said...

Wouldn't it be nice is one of my all time favorites!

I'm so lazy lately, I have a ton to do and none of it is touched. I did read the new Stephenie Meyer book but that doesn't count, it was strictly for me, ha ha.

8:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home