http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: But I Know One Thing...

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Monday, November 03, 2008

But I Know One Thing...

There are a lot of songs that I love that remind me of specific events or people. Then there are songs that I love so much that I remember the first time I ever heard them.

The first time I ever heard The Mayor of Simpleton by XTC, I was driving home from work - I'd left at about 4:30 and I was going to drive by my parents' house to fetch something before going home. I was in my 1980 Dodge 1/2 ton pickup truck listening to the radio - DC101 - and traffic hadn't gotten into its nightly snarl yet. It was overcast outside and still cool even though spring was a few weeks away and Easter would be at the end of the month.

The Mayor of Simpleton came on the radio and I fell in love with it immediately. Before the song could even stop playing I got off at the exit for Fair Oaks Mall and by the time it was over I'd parked and was running inside to buy the tape. By the time I'd arrived home I'd learned most of the lyrics.

In the song a man tells his love of how he's not very bright but the one thing he know is how much he loves her. It's sweet and romantic without being sappy and that may be what I love best about it. That and the bass line. Colin Moulding plays a bass line in this song that makes me swoon. It makes me wish I could play the bass so I could play this one bass line. I always was a sucker for a melodic bass line and this song has the best.

For nearly twenty years it's one of my all-time favorite songs - a close to a perfect pop song as I've ever heard.

Labels: , ,

3Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! What a lovely image and great song. I'm a fan of perfect pop moments, myself, and XTC can do it better than anyone. Sigh.

11:44 PM  
Blogger TitanKT said...

It's frequently just thrilling to me that we used to live in exactly the same place, Dixie. I used to listen to DC101!!! I shopped at Fair Oaks Mall. I was there... same place you were. I think that is just so awesome.

2:51 AM  
Blogger Swiss said...

I love reading your blogs- do not often have time to comment much. I felt the same way when I first heard "Making Plans for Nigel” I had to get the tape and then named my cat Nigel.

Hopefully will have time to think of eight places to live- not sure I have even been to eight places but I can try-

Also agree about "Wizard of Oz" I think watching my kids watch it then my Grand kids watch it was almost as fun as remembering when I watched it - what an enduring movie.

7:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home