http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Newfound Joy

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Newfound Joy

Most Americans, unless they have family or friends who live in or travel to Europe or Canada, have never heard of Kinder Surprise Eggs but when they are finally introduced to them they inevitably ask "Why don't they sell them in the US?". The short answer is because the FDA prohibits the sale of something inedible completely incased in something edible.

The chocolate egg, of course, isn't the draw of Kinder Eggs - it's the toys. Having the toy inside a chocolate egg is nice but the chocolate is merely the substance that sustains you while you figure out how to put together the toy. I imagine Americans would gladly give up half a chocolate egg if they could just get their hands on the toys.

And maybe it'll occur sooner than they expect.

This morning while shopping I saw a large display for these:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Like a regular Kinder Egg it's an egg with a chocolaty treat and a toy to assemble. Unlike regular Kinder Eggs the egg part isn't chocolate wrapped in foil but instead is plastic. Pull apart the tabs to separate the halves and you'll find this:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

One half of the egg contains a Nutella and milk cream topped with two cookie-like balls. A plastic paddle-like spoon is provided to aid in scooping up the chocolaty cookie goo.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Under the red cover of the other half you'll find your regular Kinder Egg toy:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Check it out! It's Scrat from the Ice Age II collection!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

You know I'm going to buy a truckload of these tomorrow.

13Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks divine!

For the record, I have a source right here in St. Louis where I have purchased Kinder Eggs. My beloved Global Foods, which also sells real-deal Cadbury Dairy Milk, also sells a huge variety of real German chocolate. I bought an egg for Clara Jane a few months ago and forgot to give it to her. So I put it in her Easter basket, and we still haven't given it to her. The chocolate's all crushed inside the wrapper because it's been wallowed around so much. But I promise, when we finally bust that bad boy open, I'll photograph and share.

1:06 AM  
Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

Oh no! Don't tell me this. Please don't tell me this. Say it ain't so. (And BTW, it's so weird to be responding to something today that you wrote tomorrow!)

4:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weird time difference worm hole I just went through... reading your post about B's birthday and thinking, DAMN, I'm sorry I missed it I wanted to wish him a VERY happy birthday!!!

Then I looked at the date and saw that was posted on Tuesday, May 9th. Today is Tuesday. But, there's another post above that one (which is why I thought I missed it). I thought, oh, she must've posted again today... but no, it's dated Wednesday, May 10. But... but... that's TOMORROW!! Freakeee! It's 11pm here and I'm reading your blog post tomorrow.

But hey, this means I didn't miss B's birthday! Tell him it's still his birthday in the U.S.! Big, giant happy birthday wishes and may the coming year be your best one yet!

6:14 AM  
Blogger christina said...

Oh oh. I better not tell my kids about this, although I'm sure they'll find out soon enough and be begging me to buy these.

7:54 AM  
Blogger Miss Kim said...

My personal quest has ended!

9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to show the boys!!

4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh. look what you've started Dixie!!!! I'm going hunting for them tomorrow. I can never praise chocolateinchocolatewithatoy.

;o)

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WooooooooooW♪♪♪
I love Scrat!!
Does HE have TWO lovely and cute TEETH? ;)
I want it!

Nori

5:11 PM  
Blogger melusina said...

Bah, the egg within the egg is more fun than two sides! Although that mixture does look scrumptious.

I've had to send shipments of Kinder Eggs to family and friends back home. The toys rule all.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Tiffany said...

My kids would love these things. Darn the FDA. ;)

9:23 PM  
Blogger Mimey said...

I'm not so keen on the Kinder toys. Is there something wrong with me?

They used to have the lamest advert, slappable glowing children asking for 'something exciting, and a toy,' and then excruciatingly sweet sister pipes up 'and some chocolate'. Mum muses for a moment: 'it's not possible', until, joy and fanfares, she encounters the kinder display at the supermarket. I think dubbing into English was involved, which may be why I took against the ad.

Having said that I will keep my eyes open for the nutella-ey cookie thing. Sounds, interesting.

10:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

my husband toured Germany with his band some years ago and is constantly talking about KinderEggs... he loves those things!

5:18 PM  
Blogger ninjapoodles said...

Oh, you can't possibly be held accountable for buying a boatload.

4:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home