http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Par for the course

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Par for the course

Spring has taken its merry time coming to Germany and I'm well behind schedule planting my flower boxes. As my balcony faces east I plant geraniums because they always hold up under the strong morning sun.

The balcony rail for my new apartment is much different than for the previous one so I need a different way to secure the boxes. The flooring is also different - metal instead of cement - so I want to get a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet to cover it and make it a little nicer looking.

I made myself a list of what I need:

~ New flower boxes in a shorter length so I can fit three along the rail. I'll put the two I already have on a table I use on the balcony.

~ A hook system to secure the flower boxes to the balcony rail.

~ Potting soil.

~ Geraniums. Lots.

~ Carpet to fit balcony floor.

~ Trowel. My other seems to be hanging out with my camera's battery charger.

I wasn't quite sure of how wide the balcony floor is so I went out with a metal tape measure to find out.

B: Be careful. Don't cut yourself on that tape measure.

Me: I know. I've done that before. Hurts way worse than any papercut.

I have a rolled up awning on the floor of the balcony that runs nearly its whole length so I had to go to the very edge to find an empty spot to measure. I pulled out the tape measure, hooked its little edge over the back side of the balcony floor and proceeded to run it along the floor and get the measurement. 1.43 meters. I began to roll the measure back to where I had it hooked and it wouldn't unhook from the balcony floor. I shook it. It wouldn't budge. I shook it harder. No luck. I remembered B's admonishment to not let the tape measure cut my fingers so I let it go with the intention of letting it roll itself up and then I'd maneuver around the table and rolled up awning and pick it up.

It worked just fine. I let the measure go, it rolled up and when it reached the end it unhooked, flipped up high and then off the open side edge of the balcony. I could hear it bang against the side of the building and then land with a thud. Land in the area between my apartment building and the shops in front of the apartments. The area where I have no access.

*sigh*

Back inside to add "metal tape measure" to the shopping list.

9Comments:

Blogger sari said...

At least you didn't cut yourself. It's easier to live with a lost tape measure than that.

Next time I send you a package, I'll send you a few tape measures. I literally collect them at work, I must have about 6 or 8 really nice ones, and you know, I only need 2 (in case I lose one, haha).

Of course, with the way I mail, it will be forever before you get it...

11:58 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Sari, you already spoil me (and Lottie!) beyond reason!

12:03 AM  
Blogger melusina said...

Hi Dixie -

Just found you via Mausi and wanted to say hello. You've made me laugh and cry just in the space of a few minutes while reading over some of the past posts in your blog.

So many things resonated with me, and I've only read a tiny portion of your blog. But maybe that's because I'm a southern girl too. ;)

I haven't lost a tape measure off our balcony yet, but I came close to losing a pair of underwear. The shame and horror of the thought of having my underwear fly down six stories below and catch some poor pedestrian on the face was enough for me to make a death defying stunt to catch it. Balconies are dangerous business.

1:08 AM  
Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

After Melusina's comment, I'm laughing twice as hard!

2:10 AM  
Blogger christina said...

Oh yes, that sounds exactly like something I would do. But at least it was only that - I thought you were going to say you sliced your thumb off or something! :-)

We need pics of the pretty flower boyes when they're done. Did the camera show up yet? Check the fridge. That's where I'd put it.

8:21 AM  
Blogger leon's life said...

I like Christina was expecting to hear about missing thumbs or fingers ....

1:39 PM  
Blogger Mimey said...

Horrible event, wonderful story. At least you're not bleeding. And who knows what marvellous occurences may visit you on your trip to purchase a new tape measure.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Miss Kim said...

It remins me of the time all my freshly washed sheets blew away (off the 9th floor!)and i had to knock on someone's door in order to retrieve them.

8:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I got closer to the bottom, I thought to myself- "Hope that thing doesn't go over the balcony".

B and I should be your Emergency Warning Signals.

That cracked me up- boy, you are lucky it didn't hit anyone!

Smooches- and thanks for the e-mail!

Moll

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home