http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Just cause you asked...

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Friday, April 15, 2005

Just cause you asked...

I've had a few folks ask me in the last couple days what a moss stitch is and how to do it. It's also called a seed stitch by some but it's the same thing.

A simple moss/seed stich is basically like a 1x1 rib stitch with a little variation so if you can rib stitch, you can moss stitch. You should use an even number of stitches.

Row 1: *k1, p1; rep from *
Row 2: *p1, k1; rep from *

In other words, knit what you purled in the previous row, purl what you knit in the previous row. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

There's also this variation:

Row 1 and 2: *k1, p1; rep from *
Row 3 and 4: *p1, k1; rep from *

This was the only moss stitch I knew of until my MIL told me about the double moss stitch. This would be in multiples of four stitches - you know, 12, 16, 20, 24, etc. stitches like you do with a 2x2 rib stitch.

Rows 1 and 2: *k2, p2; rep from *
Rows 3 and 4: *p2, k2; rep from *

I love these stitches. I think they add a nice, interesting look to your knitting that rib stitches don't have and have the added advantage like rib stitches in that the material you knit is the same on both sides and it lays flat. Terrific for scarves.

My MIL is trying to talk me into attempting to knit moss diamonds and moss panels. I dunno. They seem sort of complicated to me and I like more mindless knitting. I mean I do well just keeping up with whether I should knit or purl the next stitch. She swears it's easy but she can do that. She used to knit as a business and could crank out sweaters without giving them much thought.

1Comments:

Blogger Beege said...

Thanks for posting this--I, too, am a mindless knitter. If I have to pay close attention to what I'm doing: neverthefuckmind.

I'm making an poncho for Linnea right now--I'm so excited about it! When I'm done with that, I've got a baby blanket to do...maybe I'll do the moss stitch!

11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home