http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Blips

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Sunday, August 14, 2005

Blips

Leg Crossing

It's very possible - in fact I'd bet the contents of my wallet - that I have a UTI (for those not knowing what that is, get out your secret decoder ring). No actual flaming pain - more irritation and discomort - but I can see it being on the verge of going in that direction and I definitely have the shit-I-gotta-pee-again?? thing.

And what fabulous timing for this malady. My GP just left today for a four week vacation in Alaska. A brief spark of inspired thought gave me the idea that I could just call and beg my gynecologist to fit me in until I remembered that she is always on vacation for all of August. The normal substitute my GP refers me to while she's out of town just retired so I'm down to going to some neighborhood quack. I was wondering whether I could just will the infection away and that's when I remembered that when I had a sinus infection a couple months ago she wrote an extra prescription for Doxycillin just in case B came down with the sinus thing as well. Aha! And it says on the package insert that it's for UTIs as well. Call me cured.

Yeah, yeah...I know. Taking an antibiotic for an undiagnosed UTI will probably send me to hell to sit in the rickety metal chair by the kitchen but I know that if I could somehow transport myself onto that Lufthansa flight heading towards North America my GP would say "Take the Doxycillin. And could you ask the flight attendant to bring me another glass of merlot?".

What's the worse that could happen to me anyway? I'm not allergic to it. Can't be any worse than flying to the US to eat a few pounds of antibiotic laced meat and wash it down with hormone laden milk.

I'll have the exploitation with a side of oppression, please

New elections are scheduled in Germany in about a month and the political party signs are going up all over. One I saw yesterday for the MLPD party - one I'd not heard of before - said "Trust is good, control is better". And if that didn't raise my eyebrows the drawing of Lenin on the poster did. And then I put together that the party is the Marxist-Leninist Party of Germany.

Evidently they haven't gotten the memo yet.

Juuuust right

The other day I was musing as to why you can't find here Slurpee-type drinks. B attributed to their being too cold and Germans not liking things that were too extreme - nothing too cold or too hot.

Darling, you're telling me that while we sit in a country that went from fascism to communism overnight, right? If they'd swung from one extreme to another any faster they'd have stripped the country's gears.

Rats. I need to go pee again.

5Comments:

Blogger Mahala said...

While waiting for the car to be fixed the other day, I was treated to a discusstion about UTI. Apparently this doc was getting his car fixed that day and they were having this very in-depth discussion about there being a rise in UTI's this time of year among women and he thought it was due to increased consumption of tomatoes.

12:45 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

My doctor told me once that when women started wearing panty hose so often, that contributed to a rise in UTIs.

"Trust is good, control is better". If I could raise one eyebrow, I'd be doing it. I'd never vote for anyone from a party with this motto!

2:49 AM  
Blogger Maven said...

Hey chickie, try changing the ph of your urine by taking apple cider vinegar capsules or cranberry extract capsules. It works.

If you decide to take the antibiotics, be sure to consume a cup of yogurt every day or take acidophilus caps--they'll maintain the happy flora in your system and keep you from having diarrhea from the antibiotics.

3:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doxycillin doesn't do a great job of treating UTIs because of increased antibiotic resistance, I would make sure to take it for at least 7-10 days. Because you haven't quite made it to the flame burning stage, cranberry juice and lots of water are your friends. When urine gets infected the best thing to do is flush it away; ever wash out a wound? Same idea. But because of your diabetes, I would make sure to have a follow up even after your symptoms disappear. You can still harbor bacteria for a while afterwards.

4:57 AM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Mina, I knew this would get you out of the woodwork, bebe! :) Nothing like having an MD buddy who cares about you...thank you, sweetie!

The Doxycillin is a ten day supply (medications are distributed in original packaging, not in little bottles and I shall faithfully take it all and by that time my GYN will be back from vacation and I'll run over and see her. Unfortunately in Germany - at least where I live - there is no cranberry juice so I'm just sticking to water, and lots of it, to flush me out.

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home