http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Where's Sylvia Browne when you need her?

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Where's Sylvia Browne when you need her?

Yesterday when I woke up I told B that I'd had quite vivid dreams all night. I described what I could remember and we got a laugh out of how silly they seemed in the light of day and then B said "I had a very vivid dream last night too. Very vivid."

"My dad was at the door [B's father has been dead for ten years] and he was dressed in the same heavy jacket he'd wear to work. He came in and my mom and I were both so surprised to see him and he said 'Oh I can't stay. I just came for a little visit. Burkhard, I wanted to let you know that there will be an opening for you with me next year.'. I replied that I wasn't really interested - that I liked were I am now - and my dad replied something like 'Well the opening will be there for you.'. I woke up after that."

B didn't seem necessarily upset but was almost amazed at how vivid the dream seemed to him. I gave the standard and likely non-comforting reply that it was just a dream and didn't necessarily mean anything and we didn't speak about the dream any further.

This afternoon just before B's physiotherapist came over for his appointment he and I got into a bit of an argument. I was annoyed that he wasn't listening to what I was trying to say and he was annoyed that I was raising my voice. As fights between married people go it probably wasn't so bad - and in some marriages it would qualify for standard conversation - but we hate it when we get cross and irritable with one another. We decided that we were just misunderstanding one another and not being very patient and so we apologized to each other and B said "I hate it when we fight. Life is too short for us to be fighting like that. We shouldn't spend our time fighting when time can be so short.".

B doesn't normally talk like that. He's not normally one of those people who talks as though he learned to speak from Hallmark cards and bumper stickers so it caught my attention right away.

"Honey, is that dream still bothering you?"

He admitted that he was still thinking of it and I was worried that he was worried that he'd die next year. This is even more unlike him because, while he's a realist and he knows that quadriplegics can have complications like pressure sores or infections that can cause death in very little time, he's also not one to believe in premonitions. He scoffs at the psychics one sees on TV and he's not one to believe in omens or signs.

And you know, I have to admit that I was worried about it as well but was trying to not recognize it. I'm not really one to take stock in psychics either but I can't discount them because I do believe there's a lot more going on beyond our scope of consciousness than we know.

But what good would worrying do? It won't change anything. We already do the best we can to keep B as healthy as possible - always being diligent about avoiding pressure sores and keeping him away from people with colds or the flu. He sees two physicians a month and I'm just not sure what else we can do to keep him around with us for as long as we can.

After talking about it we've chosen to believe that if we were getting some sort of "sign" from the dream that it didn't necessarily mean that B would die next year. Instead we've chosen that if the dead can come back and give us messages that B's dad was telling him to enjoy his life as much as possible and to not spend it bickering over petty things that don't matter anyway. To spend our time together with as much happiness and passion as we can muster because life is fleeting.

We're just going to stay together for as long as we're able and hope to have as much love as we can hold between us.

5Comments:

Blogger BarefootCajun said...

I don't know what B's dream meant but two things came to mind as I read it. I'll throw them out here not as relating to his dream, just because they came to mind.

Quite a number of years ago, my whole family (grandmother, aunts, cousins, as well as immediate family) was together at a camp in Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, enjoying the beach. I had a dream one of the nights that God told me to enjoy my time with my grandmother because she wouldn't be there the next year. I never told anyone about the dream but it really rattled me for a while. Then, like you guys, I realized there was nothing I could do about it so I relaxed but continued to enjoy MawMaw. She was with us at least another five years after that. :-)


My mom said that she saw angels during her ordeal in November and that the angels gave her the option to go with them and she chose not to.

11:04 PM  
Blogger Mahala said...

Dreams like that can surely get you rattled. I consider myself a bit of an "arm chair psychic", if there is such a thing. I used to talk about it a little on my earlier posts.

Dreams can be alot of different things. B's dream may have been a reflection of issues he's been worried about, the subconscious' way of bringing it to the forefront. You said he was a realist, maybe he's been worrying about the things that can go wrong.

I do believe that loved ones who haved passed sometimes come to us durning sleep with messages. I know it sounds a little flighty, but I've seen it happen a bunch of times. Maybe by B telling his father in the dream that he wasn't interested in joining him, he made it clear that he wasn't ready to go.

The most valid thing you said in your post was "What good would it do worrying about it?" You hit the nail on the head there. You can't go through life worrying about what could happen. In doing that you lose all the joy you could be experiencing in the mean time. It sounds like the two of you are meant for each other, I'm envious :)

11:40 PM  
Blogger Beege said...

Amen, and amen!

You know Dix, none of us know when we'll lose our beloved one. Right now, M is snuggled in his study carrol in the library, frantically cramming information into his head for his comprehensive exam tomorrow. But he could get hit by a bus or a car on his walk home.

Nobody knows when Death will come a-calling. So I think what you've written here is excellent advice for EVERYBODY. We just think we have so much time...but that's not always the case. As a pastor, I should remember that better than anyone, but I don't.

5:44 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Y'all have made me feel better about this. More confident. We should always act as if our last day is today and not waste it.

Hard to stick to but it never hurts to get a reminder.

9:11 PM  
Blogger BranV said...

I could never say anything wiser then what these ladies have written. But what I do want to say is that this was a beautiful post Dixie. The way you wrote it, the feelings you reflect to us, being there to see the love between you and B...it just moved me so much. Thank you for sharing your life.

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home