http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Becoming a minimalist

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Saturday, October 29, 2005

Becoming a minimalist

It's a little too early to admit defeat but this packing thing is whipping my ass. It's not the effort. It's not the hauling out, wrapping up, stacking, digging through, hoisting, pushing, shoving or walking through the maze of packed boxes.

It's the fact that this shit simply won't end!

The more I pull out of drawers and cabinets, the more shit I find. Where did it all come from? I don't remember buying all this stuff. Yeah, I can blame it on B - he's lived in this apartment for twenty years but most of the stuff doesn't seem to be related to him.

Now I'm being brutal with myself. If it's a book I read and hasn't made it to my list of all time favorites, it goes. If it's a CD that I haven't listened to in years and I even forgot I had it, it goes. If it's an item of clothing I haven't worn in a year, two at the most, it goes. I won't say I'm throwing out more than I'm packing but the throw out piles are out of control, mostly, I suppose, because I don't have time to constantly go down to the trash room to put it in the dumpster.

I wish I had one of those big containers that a truck would deliver and set right under my window so I could simply pitch this shit out the window.

I have two-and-a-half weeks to get packed. We are moving in seventeen days. I'm not going to make it. I don't have a choice but to make it but right now if I had to lay money on it, I'd bet on me still tossing shit into boxes as the movers attempt to cart them away.

5Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

It'll be all right. Breathe. You can do this.

11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

isn't packing and moving shit the absolute WORST?

just keep going, dix. you can do it. i think you've made a good plan and i know you can make it happen.

it will all be worth it when you get in your new crib. keep the faith, baby, you'll get there.

11:41 PM  
Blogger Beege said...

Girl, about three months ago I was right where you are now. I SO hear you.

You'll make it. You'll starting pitching a little more erratically towards the end. But you'll make it. :)

1:29 AM  
Blogger Miz said...

You have got the right idea. If you haven't looked for it, used it, or wanted it in the last 16 months...toss it! Try to stick to one room at a time, you see the progress and feel better about what your getting done.

Save the drawers for last. Dresser drawers can go over as is, just tape some paper over the tops as you pull them out. Kitchen drawers can always be pulled out and dumped into a box and sorted on the unpack.

You'll make it, deep breath and get some sleep.

4:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I just hate, loathe and despise moving. I've stayed in crummy apartments way longer than necessary just because I hate moving so bad.

It's more than just the work, although that is a big part of it... I also hate that homeless feeling you have when your current place is empty and your new place isn't filled up yet. Some people look at moving as an adventure and an opportunity. I look at it as a gigantic pain in the ass and emotionally unpleasant on top of that.

I guess I'm not being very encouraging, huh? Well, of course you WILL get it done, but I can't say I envy you in the slightest! I will have to move from where I am fairly soon and I'm already starting to dread it.

Although in my case, a good 85% of my stuff is already packed and ready to go and has been since we moved in here. Most of my beloved stuff has sat packed and waiting in the garage for more than three years now. I can't wait to see all my stuff again, unpacking will be like Christmas morning.

I guess that's the way to diminish the torturous work of packing and unpacking... leave a three to four year gap between the two! Hah! (I guess that's not realistic for most people... hehehe.)

6:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home