http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Spurred into action

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Monday, April 10, 2006

Spurred into action

I don't know if it's the longer daylight hours or the better sleep I've been getting (I've been plagued with nightmares for the past few days, the latest one was a sort of mix between The Amityville Horror and The Exorcist and I was jolted awake as I dreamed I was screaming "Fuck you, Satan!" over and over) but I've been much more motivated to get stuff done around here that I've been putting off for a painfully long time. Remember those eight boxes from my move that have remained unpacked? Three unpacked today - two were even boxes containing my teacup collection and the eleventy-thousand schnapps and cordial glasses we have and every one of them was wrapped up in a sheet of newspaper. I even got the old newspaper carted off. Tomorrow I have it planned to finish unpacking the rest of the boxes. Some friends of ours are moving at the end of the month and I offered to give them the boxes. I get rid of the cartons I didn't want to keep anyway and they get sturdy cartons to move with. My head is postively popping with the utter "win-win!" of it all.

Another good reason for me to finally get these last few boxes unpacked is the fact that I'm relatively sure the battery charger for my camera is located in one of them and currently all of my camera batteries are dead. How can I treat you to Thursday Kinder Egg Blogging if I don't have a functioning camera?

I approached B with the idea that there's a slight possibility that the battery charger is lost for good. Wow. He really didn't take that well. It seems that since it's a Canon camera the charger is one of those brand unique items and therefore costs a lot to buy separately. Yikes. Not what I wanted to hear. I am so going to get the mad face look from him if I can't find this charger.

As for other accomplishments of the day, I went to the train station this afternoon and bought a ticket. Not telling you where I'm headed though. Let the suspense tingle your toes for a while.

And since I was so driven by ambition today I wasn't going to be satisfied until I managed to royally screw up my Cozy wrap. When I screw up, I want to do it with flair! I've tried to be very careful and I try to remember to count the stitches after I finish every wrong side row but it didn't stop me from getting a stitch off somewhere. I found myself about to finish the seventh row of an eight row pattern and found that I had only 84 stitches on my needles instead of 85. A row that involves stitches passed over other stitches knitted together. Way to complicated for me to tackle in terms of unknitting the row so I turned it over to my MIL, the master knitter. My heroine in sensible shoes.

I was in the kitchen slicing and chopping meat and vegetables for tonight's dinner and in the livingroom I could hear the occasional "Scheisse!" out of her. It seems this row isn't so simple for her to unknit and after a half hour she declared that she'd start on it again tomorrow - she predicted it would take another hour to finish unknitting. I am going to owe her a flower shop worth of flowers when she gets done with it, even if it can't be saved and has to be unraveled.

Rats. I was hoping I could get it finished soon. I wanted to wear it on the train.

11Comments:

Blogger JT said...

I find that a nice tin of spritz, particulary orange sticks, keeps Satan at bay. They're much tastier than your soul.

2:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol I dont' know why but i'm getting visuals of you screaming at satan and it's sooo funny.

oooh madfacelook. i know it too and dread it. the silence that goes along with Chris' madface look is worse though. Men.

I still can't believe you're making that. The problem with me and lace knitting is that yes, the pattern repeats but it's sooooooo easy for me to get lost in the counting and all the rest. I get dizzy :(

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geez, I'm so sorry about the nightmares, but I'll admit to you that the image of you spewing obsceneties at Satan is, for some reason, highly amusing to me. If only it weren't so disturbing to you.

I'm proud of you for getting so much accomplished, no matter what the impetus. (Although B's mad face would be a huge incentive for me, too, even though I've never seen his mad face.

And you know I'm beside myself with curiosity as to where you're headed on the train!! Please don't keep us in suspense for too long.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Mimey said...

Had to happen eventually, I guess. It took a long time but here it is: I got interested in the knitting. SO here's my expert advice (I knitted a couple of doll sized rugs during my infancy, I think I know what I'm talking about here) Why not try wrapping a loop of wool around your needle-wand knitting stick thingy. That'll sort you out anytime you're a stitch down!

You don't even have to thank me.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Miss Kim said...

I can't knit unless I have someone else around who can fix my booboos!

12:17 PM  
Blogger EuroTrippen said...

You only have to worry when you start randomly screaming "fuck you, satan!" when NOT sleeping...

1:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

A trip! Hope you have fun - and better weather than here. I would say you caught the spring cleaning bug . . . but where is spring?? What's the "Kinder Egg Blogging?"

5:07 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

I guess I'm the only one who thinks screaming "Fuck you Satan!" is a perfectly rational thing to do in a scary dream.

And the knitting? The idea of creating something like that out of only a ball of string intimidates the hell out of me. Looks like it'll be pretty, though.

5:37 PM  
Blogger BarefootCajun said...

"Fuck you, Satan!"

Dreaming about the Bu$h administration again, dear?

Where you going, huh? Where you going? Inquiring minds want to know.

8:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We've got that box problem too, but it's because we need a new book shelf and haven't gotten one yet. And the camera is lost too, so we know what you are talking about!!!

Oooooohhh, can't wait to hear about the train ride.

10:16 PM  
Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

Your nightmare reminds me of Donica when she wakes up screaming. No words. Just screams and then I start laughing because it's so uncharacteristic for her to be afraid of anything.

Anyway, I have this big grin all over my face :)

7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home