http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Cocktails and Complaints

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Cocktails and Complaints

A nice lady I know who lives in Bahrain was saying how beastly hot it is there and asking for suggestions on keeping cool.

It reminded me of a conversation that B and I had a few years ago.

One evening while watching the news we saw that a heatwave was coming with temperatures expected to be in the 35°C range. Now I may be from Mississippi and it's hotter than the mouth of hell there in the summertime but by golly we have air conditioning there. In Mississippi I'm out in the swealtering heat long enough to go from my air conditioned car to the air conditioned house/store/church/restaurant/whatever. I just don't take to excessive heat very well.

I took the news of the expected heatwave badly and said to B "Look, if it's going to be like that there's only one thing for me to do. I'm just going to have a cool drink and veg!".

"What? You're going to do what?"

"Veg. Vegetate. Be like a vegetable. Be like a vegetable and do nothing."

"Oh! Oh thank God. I thought you said something else."

"What did you think I said?"

"Nothing. Nevermind. Thought you said something else."

"What?"

"Uhhh...erm..."

"What did you think I said? You can tell me."

"I thought you said 'I'm just going to have a cool drink and bitch!' and all I could think was 'And I'm going to be trapped in here with her! I can't escape the bitching!'"

9Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bwahahahahahaha!!!!!
Poor B thinkin OMG Im stuck here w/a hot Bitch and not in a good kinda way!!!

11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, that made me go: BWAHAHAHAHA!!! too. Good one, B.

5:19 AM  
Blogger Spinningsue said...

He he he he. A man who knows what to be *truly* afraid of!

6:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL I have to tell you a story because it's totally related to this.

When I first arrived in Germany I casually remarked "Oh how funny there are no airconditioning units attached to any of the houses". Then Chris goes- Uhh what would you need an AC for?

I arrived in the spring so I was enjoying milder weather after having dealt with the tropical climate of Singapore. So like you I had to deal with ungodly heat but yeah, ACed car to ACed building....so you never had to really LIVE with it.

Then summer came to Germany and god was I miserable. Our car didn't have AC...actually no one I know has AC in their car. Not even the SHOPS here had AC. They all just leave the doors open and I was like yeah do that....let the freakin HOT AIR in here :|

I bitched a LOT that first summer.

I've acclimatised since then and he's so happy. The first thing he said to me when the weather got warmer was "I'm really glad you don't feel so warm anymore because I don't think I could handle that degree of bitching ever again".

If you're anything like me, I can imagine B being scared of being trapped with someone who won't stop bitching LOL

*btw....http://www.socknitters.com/2circs/index.htm a link about knitting with two circs if you decide you can't wait for me to show you ;)

11:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I hear ya! When the Germans came over for our wedding in South Carolina in JULY and it was OUTSIDE, they thought we were on crack. They actually turned off the air conditioning in their hotel room. I thought they were on crack.

I used to hang out in Galeria Kaufhof for the air conditioning.

11:15 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

that is pretty funny! I managed to live without air con for the first 20 or so years of my life, even when going to my grandparents house at 104F or so in the summer. It was more dry than sticky type of heat though, in California...

5:27 PM  
Blogger melusina said...

OK, you people who are living without air conditioning are beyond me! Especially Southern girls like Dixie! I need my air conditioning the minute it goes above 70 degrees!

Ok, so maybe that is an exaggeration. In Athens air conditioning wasn't terribly common. On the island of Kos it was a bit more common. In Litochoro (on Mt. Olympus) it was WAY common - and WAY humid there. Here in Thessaloniki you are some kind of freak if you don't have air conditioning (humidity even higher here), although most people don't use it until the high heat of summer (July or so).

I am sooo spoiled when it comes to air conditioning. For awhile I was worried it was going to give us massive electric bills but it only seems to add about 25 euros to our regular bill when we run it all the time so whatever. I'm enjoying my a/c!!!

6:11 PM  
Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

Sometimes I just laugh out loud at the conversations you and B have! Like I said, you need to make a soap opera outta your life. You've got the script down pat!

7:48 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

That is hysterical! LOL!

5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home