http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Yarn and Glossy Lips

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Yarn and Glossy Lips

Know what you happens if you're very, very good? A lovely friend comes to visit and brings presents! Who doesn't love presents?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Not just pressies - knitting pressies! The newest edition of Vogue Knitting. Sock patterns. Booklet on knitting two socks on two circulars. Booklet on knitting with the Magic Loop method. Think I'm overboard on socks? Not to worry...I now have the pattern book Not Just Socks so I can knit other stuff from sock yarn. And what else there do I see? A gauge counter - hold it up to your swatch and it tells you the gauge without you having to count the stitches. Stitch holders. Addi double point needles - teensy ones. A row counter that hangs from your circular needle. Darning needles in a case so you're not digging for the damn things at the bottom of your accessory bag. Can't remember how to do grafting? No problem! That and other knitting must-knows are on ring bound cards - no more having to drag out your copy of Stitch 'n Bitch when you need a reminder. And what is that there gleaming in their little plastic pouches? Could that be?....yes it is!! Onetwothreefourfivesix pairs of Addi Turbos! The grooviest knitting needles in the world and I have a bunch of them! My sweet friend Laura came bearing the greatest gifts a knitting gal could wish for and we're not even getting into the great bunch of lip glosses she brought as well. Lip gloss and knitting stuff. If she'd brought strawberry Twizzlers as well I may have fallen in love.

So what do you do when you've got a great bunch of knitting accessories? Go expand your yarn stash, of course! We waved buh-bye to B and walked down the street in search of yarn and since the knitting gods were smiling upon us we were able to not just find some lovely Regia sock yarn but find it on sale for 2€ per 50 gram skein. I kept my purchases to the minor side but since this yarn sells in the US for much more, Laura grabbed a pile and I know tomorrow will have us going back for more.

We shopped. We talked. We knitted. We talked more. We shopped and then went for coffee and cake and talked. We came back home and knitted and talked and it went on and on until we were in such a frenzy of girly-girl action that we nearly burst into flames. Glittery, glossy ones.

And we're gonna do it again tomorrow. Keep the fire extinguisher handy.

14Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

Oh, Dix -- it sounds like you're having a great time!

12:06 AM  
Blogger sari said...

"it went on and on until we were in such a frenzy of girly-girl action that we nearly burst into flames. Glittery, glossy ones."

I love it!! It sounds like a wonderful day!!

1:02 AM  
Blogger Miz said...

Poor B, he must have nearly drowned in all that estrogin!

6:06 AM  
Blogger The DP said...

Yarn and lip gloss. I crochet so I am slightly less addicted to yarn than knitters, but I must say...sounds like darn good presents. I need to score some friends like that.

6:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay for friends! :D and yay for knitting with an extra cool friend who brings knitting gifts :D

hehe I'm glad you guys had a great day hanging out and doing knitterly, girly and fun things!

7:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun! :) Knitting question: You know the round needles joined by the plastic cord? How do you keep that cord straight? Whenever I use mine it keeps trying to revert to the shape it had in the package and we end up wrestling. It's gotten so bad I avoid using them, which has turned out to be very limiting. Is there any trick to getting that cord straightened out?

7:56 AM  
Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

OMG, Dixie! You'll be lucky if you get a magnet outta me when I come!

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that sounds a little like heaven. except for the knitting.

i wanna be at your house, dix.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Katya - we're having a big time here. I've chatted myself hoarse.

Sari - It's like a girly-girl explosion!

Miz - B definitely rolled his eyes at all the squealing that went on when looking at all the great presents.

cncz - I now have more lipgloss that should be allowed by law. But not enough yarn.

Belinda - I talked about you, sweetie! Told Laura all about you getting in to dying!

Lisa - You'd be chatting right along with us. As for your circular needles being all kinky - that is a problem that I hate too. You can boil a pan of water and then dip the cord into the boiling water for a couple seconds to soften the plastic and then pull them straight as they cool. Once they're unkinked, don't roll them again but instead store them in a that they will stay straight - like storing them by running through the inside of an old paper towel tube.

Ginnie - You just bring yourself. That's present enough! :)

pkb - It's our kind of heaven, Lis. And I wish you were here too. By the way, she loved that picture of me and you eating the Peanut Buster Parfaits that I have in my kitchen.

11:10 PM  
Blogger christina said...

Lovely! You sound very up and happy and I can see why. Retail therapy is always good. I've noticed the reasonable prices in Regia yarn here too.

12:23 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

This reminds me of a dream I had about my mom a few months ago. I dreamed that I was crying because Mom died without teaching me to "knit the German way." She knit like crazy all her life, but used a method that only she and a few of her German friends used -- completely unlike American knitting. I woke up sobbing one night and I'm sure my hubby thought I was bonkers when all I could muster between my sleepy sobs was "I never learned to knit the German way... she left without teaching me...!"

I'm sure there's some deep psychological meaning to it all, but to me it was just a profound sense of loss... the most I ever missed her.

Carol

8:43 PM  
Blogger Hilda said...

Isn't *girl time* wonderful? It sounds like you're having a fabulous time - good for you!

For a while during my *misspent youth*, I preferred the company of men - not necessarily in a sexual way, but for conversation and hanging out. But now in my 40s I treasure the time I spend with my girlfriends. We can talk about anything, and sometimes we just get silly and laugh.

Yay girlfriends!

5:47 AM  
Blogger Hilda said...

I don't know. I think maybe our Dix is having "too much" fun, she's abandoned us - her *Blog Groupies*! The woman hasn't posted since Tuesday - whassup wit'dat'? :)

Just kidding - enjoy!

8:37 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Hilda, I really have been having too much fun! :)

Carol - You can still learn to knit the way your mother did. It's continental knitting and it's becoming more popular in the US. Everyone here knits that way...here I'm the oddball for knitting the English right handed method!

11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home