http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Friday Shuffle - Make Your Own Luck Edition

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Friday, April 13, 2007

Friday Shuffle - Make Your Own Luck Edition

I'm not much of a superstitious person. I do a few things like make sure there's salt in our kitchen at all times (in Germany it's believed to be bad luck to not have any salt at home) and I won't wish anyone happy birthday a day early but for the most part I don't follow along with superstitious ideas. And when it comes to Friday the 13th, I'm the sort of person who thinks it's just as likely as not that good things can happen on that date as much as bad things can happen.

Today definitely had a balance of bad and good things:

~ While at my MIL's today I saw a guy in a Bobcat digger equipment thingy up on the roof of a building being torn down, tearing off and throwing roofing shingles into a scrap container. When he was turning around the tread on one side came off the building, the Bobcat tipped over, the man fell into the scrap container and the Bobcat fell on top of him. Scared the daylights out of me. I sat in my car shaking like a junkie jonesing for a fix. The rescue squad and police and a fire truck showed up just a few minutes later and they took the man away and that was a good sign. If he'd been dead at the scene they wouldn't have whisked him away so quickly.

Later on the 2pm regional news they showed a story about the incident and said the man was alive but in serious condition. I hope he'll recover. All I could think when I was trying to calm down so I could drive home was that he probably had a family and they needed him to be alright again. That they were depending on him to be alright again. It reminded me how much families really do rely on each other and how the delicate balances in life can be interrupted in just the blink of an eye.

~ There's been good things too. The weather right now is incredible. Sunny, very warm, clear skies - definitely not April weather in Germany. More like June weather. I'm hoping to find someone to help me get B outside tomorrow. He normally never gets out in April but we like to take advantage of sunny, warm days. B hasn't been outside since the end of September and he's looking forward to seeing something besides our living room.

And remember the lost yarn? I found it! I was looking for the hose that I need to use to pump up the tires on B's electric wheelchair and while moving a bag of yarn that I know I've looked in at least twice before this week, I decided to look in again and I found it. The single sock shall have its twin soon. If it hadn't been gorgeous weather now then I wouldn't have been worried about pumping up the tires on B's wheelchair and wouldn't have looked for the pump hose and wouldn't have found the sock yarn.

~ Then there was the mix of good and bad. Early this evening B and I got into a fight over something we shouldn't have been fighting about. It just about negated any good that happened today. And somehow that disagreement, with all it's anger and disappointment and sadness and tears got B and I to talk in a way that we really haven't before. I was able to talk about stuff I had never talked to him about until now. Stuff I'd never told anyone before. I'm not good with telling things I've held inside for years because of how it makes me feel as thought I've left myself vulnerable to having it used against me but today I was able to do it anyway. I can't say I'll do it again but if I get tempted to then maybe I can remember back to this day when I opened myself up and made myself vulnerable and I survived.

Time to shuffle.
  1. The Angry Mob - Kaiser Chiefs
  2. Morning Star - Blackmore's Night
  3. Star Of The County Down - Van Morrison & The Chieftans
  4. Requiem For The Masses - The Association
  5. Long Cool Woman (In A Black Dress) - The Hollies
  6. Candy's Room - Bruce Springsteen
  7. Tennessee Flat Top Box - Rosanne Cash
  8. Blue Orchid - White Stripes
  9. Jackknife To A Swan - Mighty Mighty Bosstones
  10. Second Hand News - Fleetwood Mac
Enjoy your weekend - all the extremes and the middle ground too.

Labels: ,

4Comments:

Blogger Carol said...

A "middle ground." Sounds GOOD right now!

Glad you survived being vulnerable; do you feel better... maybe, a little?

Carol

4:42 AM  
Blogger Mimey said...

Vulnerable...survived. A valuable lesson for us all, I think.

Seeing that accident must have been horrendous. I saw a bit of the aftermath of a minor road accident once and surprised myself (I'm hard and heartless, you understand) by coming over all shaky and freaking out.

Was it Friday the 13th? Must've missed that one.

11:08 AM  
Blogger Marshamlow said...

I didn't relize it was Friday the 13th either.

What a rollar coaster of emotions day you had. Glad you had the opportunity to open up a part of you that you hadn't opened before. Hopefully it will bring you peace. It is always good to be able to exercise a few demons. It is good to be married to someone who is safe.

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I can't say I'll do it again but if I get tempted to then maybe I can remember back to this day when I opened myself up and made myself vulnerable and I survived."

I am, once again, reminded of how much our hearts and souls have in common. We really are connected.

I love you, Dix.

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home