http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Obligitory Holiday Roundup

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Monday, April 09, 2007

Obligitory Holiday Roundup

I'm sure I'm not actually obliged to tell y'all about my Easter holiday weekend but if I claim obligation then maybe I'm off the hook if it happens to disappoint. "I didn't want to write it! I knew nothing exciting happened! It was required of me!"

Some highlights:

~ Heard some achingly bad karaoke from the neighbor living below us. His rendition of Smells Like Teen Spirit had a particularly fine my-balls-are-in-a-vice quality to it.

~ Since a holiday generally requires a lot of musical entertainment and not to be outdone by the ball-squoze karaoke singer, my neighbor living above us practiced her piano as often as possible. I suppose she believes Easter to be a more somber holiday and that's why every tune she played sounded like a dirge. A loud dirge. My favorite was when she began tickling those ivory keys at 11:00 yesterday. That would be 11:00 at night.

~ Two or three fist fights nearly broke out at my MIL's birthday celebration. You don't have to be the Amazing Kreskin to figure out that Aunt Annoying was at the center of all the conflicts. My personal favorite? When Aunt Annoying told my MIL's best friend - a lady who probably pushes 300 pounds - that she should see about losing weight and that weighing so much was bad for her. A suggestion given completely out of the blue. I thought my MIL was going to sink through the floor from embarrassment. I thought my MIL's friend was going to deliver an instant ass whipping.

~ B and I had what was probably the worst in terms of style and yet tastiest Easter dinner I've had in ages. Since B wasn't able to get over to her birthday celebration buffet supper she sent over with me for our supper some lightly breaded and fried pork fillet and Bouletten - sort of a cross between a hamburger and a meatball. And there was a lot of it. As B and I were too starved to wait for me to boil some potatoes and steam some green beans to go with it, I instead warmed up the meat, grabbed a loaf of whole grain bread, a jar of mustard and a bottle of ketchup and we sat in the living room and had a fried meat festival. We were merely inches away from spearing the meat off the platter, fork grasped in an overhand style, and gnawing off hunks with our teeth.

~ My MIL made us an Easter basket. That's love when you're on the back side of 40 and you're still getting an Easter basket.

~ Two seasons of Lost watched in three days. I didn't catch every episode but a lot of them. Most of them. It helped me knit faster.

After a brief hiatus, yarn talk is back tomorrow. With pictures. I know you'll want to pencil that in your Day Runner.

Labels:

3Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

are you guys somehow obligated to keep inviting Aunt Annoying over? Cos damned if I'd let her in after all the stuff she's done.

but bless you all for having so much patience. I couldn't do it.

I've officially O.D.ed on chocolate and shall not be partaking till Halloween.

Hope you're both well. Love n hugs from this side of DE.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Marshamlow said...

I have a love hate relationship with Lost. I love Sawyer, I can't help it. He is so tall, scruffy and in need of love. He is every boyfriend who ever broke my heart. I have no idea how I ended up married to Ward Cleaver. I must have some serious good Karma. But, I digress, Happy Easter, two days late. Here's hoping you don't have to see Aunt Annoying again until Xmas.

3:45 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Belinda - I was saying to my MIL yesterday that Aunt Annoying just doesn't get it that she's only invited to stuff out of obligation. She's married to my MIL's brother so we're stuck with her.

And in the case with my MIL's birthday, they weren't really invited. My MIL wants to have a party in combination with B's birthday later in the spring and only wanted her friend and husband over on Sunday. Aunt Annoying called and said "Well we just want to come over for a bit to congratulate you on your birthday.". She's always inviting herself over.

Love n hugs coming to you from the East Side.

Marsha - Sawyer. Mmmmm. Now I thought Boone was hot until they killed him off but Sawyer is my guy. I want to live in one of his dimples. Well...I think Jin and Sayid are pretty hot too.

2:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home